Something leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Roger Bay

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone knows what the thing in the picture is. It is constantly dripping water out of the end of the white tube on the right. I thought it might be related to the irrigation system but since the pipe is going into the house maybe it's part of the potable water system. Would appreciate any help, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0996 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0996 - Copy.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 172

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's a pressure relief valve. I've seen them locally, but have never actually installed one. I'm thinking technology has moved on from this device. Several methods of dealing with excessive water pressure downstream of a check-valve equipped water meter or PRV caused by thermal expansion have been tried. This was third runner-up. It's an Edsel.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some people put those in as a secondary safety. Normally, it should not be opened up. Do you have a PRV in the house? If so, do you also have an expansion tank? One or the other (or both) of those may be failing, allowing the pressure to get higher, and causing that relief valve to open up.

IF you had a freeze, that valve may have been damaged. May not happen often in FL, but that could damage things including splitting the pipe in a worst case. Further north, the water would come in below the frost line to the house.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Check your water pressure...if it's high, the valve is doing its job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks