Something different

Users who are viewing this thread

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Put in 4 toilets in a house today. Two Glacier Bays in the jack and jill, and two American Standards; one in the powder room and one in the master bath.

All four flanges had issues, but I got them all properly installed and left two streaks of rubber in the driveway as I left at 4:30 this afternoon, to join rush hour traffic.

The Glacier Bays were fine. Elongated, comfort height, nice flush( for a pants-up review). I would gladly swap my 1984 American Standard roulette wheel for one of those.

The American Standard toilets were something different. These are called the Optum VorMax. Trade-mark on both quasi-words. It has two side-by-side drain valve/flapper components in the tank. Think double-barrel shotgun. The bowl has two matching holes to accept the flow from said dual flappers. Engineers gotta eat too, I guess.

The instructions call for you to flush this thing five times to prime the system for further usage.

It has a good flush. First time. If you flush it again just when the tank refills it goes into this slosh-around-nothing-happening kind of mode.

I'll try to find some time to research this new system over the weekend. I don't want to pass judgment without trying to understand the plan.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
More AS marketing. Like the "4-inch" flush valve that is really 3 inches on the Champion.

I think, but I have no personal experience with it, that one flapper is for the siphon jet and the other for the bowl wash. Hard to see the advantage.

And you're right about the installation instructions and the five flush prime. They also say not to hold the lever down after giving it a full push. Apparently, they are concerned about "air getting in" which may "degrade performance".

Picture of insides from another web site (hope that's okay...). Looks like a real Rube Goldberg contraption, with two flappers to fail and leak (and two tank-to-bowl gaskets). On the other hand, good news for those doing service work as the thing seems destined to confound basic do-it-yourselfers:

DualInjectionFlushValves-Toilet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
More AS marketing. Like the "4-inch" flush valve that is really 3 inches on the Champion.

I think, but I have no personal experience with it, that one flapper is for the siphon jet and the other for the bowl wash. Hard to see the advantage.
I'm still bewillard. Helluva bowl-swirl, though.

Reach4

Reaction score
I could see an advantage to bowl wash leading siphon jet burst.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks