Some Toilet Advice If you Have The Time

Users who are viewing this thread

Lou_Reed

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

First post, but have been reading through the threads. A wealth of information. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

Awhile back I bought an American Standard 3381.216.020 dual flush that was sold at Lowe's exclusively. Which I now regret. I live alone and it was for a spare bedroom that sees little use. I installed it cut out out the old disintegrated flange and it was working fine for eight monts or so. One day I heard tricking water and a hairline crack had developed in the back of the tank and was leaking. I don't recall anything to indicate a crack when I installed the toilet and even though it received minimal use it still lasted 6+ months. Anyway, no replacement tanks are available and American Standard was of no use. Not a good purchase though I may just have received a lemon.

So I'm going to replace it again and get a Toto Drake. My question is, I saw this one online.

CST744S_zoom.jpg

The reviews seem good. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with this model and what your thoughts are? would be better off going to a supply house.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide and for sharing your sharing your expertise with me. Now that I've done one hopefully the next will be easy peasy! :D

Thanks kindly!

Joe in CT

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

Lou_Reed

Reaction score
I've sold thousands of those. They are a good solid toilet.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/toto-drake-toilet-product-review.5241/

https://terrylove.biz/toilets/101-toto-drake-toilet-elongated-CEFIONTECT.html

3" flush valve, 2-1/8" trapway, the good finish in the G bowls Quality is always good. They only make an A grade product.

cst744el-tan.jpg

I sell them locally, shipping isn't an option with me. Too many break.

Oh great thank you so much, Terry. That eases my mind. I'm going to check the local supply house that carries TOTO first as I would rather support local business. Even if they're a bit costlier. I'll upload some pics of my just slightly above amateur installation when it's in. :cool:

Thanks again!!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Generally two reason why tanks crack. The most common is it is bolted to the bowl too tight. Over time the excess stress on the tank gives way. Another is if someone leaned back on the tank too much.
When tighten down the tank the rubber components help absorbed the stresses. Tighten the bolts until the the tank just touches the bowl and enough so the tank doesn’t rock.

From the installation instructions at the American Standard web site.
Tighten handles alternately until the tank contacts the front and back of the bowl achieving china-to-china contact.

BTW, if you’re getting a Toto in cotton white, it is a brighter shade of white compared to the white by all other manufactures. This goes for their other colors also. Slightly different.

Lou_Reed

Reaction score
Less than a year old? Take it back to Lowe's for a refund.

Thanks unfortunately they won't take it back and American Standard wants nothing to do with me. I can't imagine I tightened the bolts too much as I've rebuilt two other toilets that were in the house without incident. A Gerber and an Eljer.

Since it was installed in the bathroom of a guest room it saw very little use. Probably my 90lb elderly mother used it it the most when she came for a visit or two. I don't know. Maybe she was having keggers with all the other elderly folks in the neighborhood when I was at work. I'm flummoxed.

Here's a picture of the crack.
1551292045997.jpg

It almost looks lile it started at the top and worked it's way down which is odd. Oh well out with the crap and in with a new crapper. Going to the local Toto dealer tomorrow to look and hopefully buy one.

Thanks again!!

Lou_Reed

Reaction score
Generally two reason why tanks crack. The most common is it is bolted to the bowl too tight. Over time the excess stress on the tank gives way. Another is if someone leaned back on the tank too much.
When tighten down the tank the rubber components help absorbed the stresses. Tighten the bolts until the the tank just touches the bowl and enough so the tank doesn’t rock.

From the installation instructions at the American Standard web site.
Tighten handles alternately until the tank contacts the front and back of the bowl achieving china-to-china contact.

BTW, if you’re getting a Toto in cotton white, it is a brighter shade of white compared to the white by all other manufactures. This goes for their other colors also. Slightly different.

Thanks for the info. I typed up a detailed reply to the poster just before you. I'm pretty flummoxed at how it happened. I've rebuilt a few toilets with new tank to bowl gaskets etc and it was in a guest bathroom so it didn't get much use. IDK real bummer to only get less than a year from a toilet. :(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks