Some Questions About New Well Install

Users who are viewing this thread

Donna Davis

Reaction score
We are putting a new/unused well in service. We have no well report but believe we have a good measurement now of 190' deep for the well with depth to water (static) around 82' (was wrong in my first post).

This has been in planning several times over the 9 years since it was drilled including buying materials.

We have bought:
3-wire 1hp Grundfos 10S10-15 submersible pump and standard control box
1" poly pipe, 200psi
1-1/4" male NPT x 1" barb adapter w/ rope loop
3/8" polypropylene rope
torque arrester (not sure about using)
12 awg THHN stranded wire for pump
waterproof splice kit
PVC pipe wrap tape
sanitary seal with vent
40A feed to wellhouse subpanel, 20A breaker for pump
Cycle Sensor Pump Monitor
40-60 pressure switch
Cycle Stop Valve CSV1A, SS fittings tying to 1" poly well pipe through 1-1/4" union
14-gallon pressure tank
10" brass tee, pressure gauge, 75psi relief, drain valve
1" Pex-A pipe and fittings between CSV and tank tee, then between shutoff valve (just after tank tee) and water line

Any advice/tips concerning materials?

I am concerned now about the pump being oversized but at the time we bought it, we were expecting to supply another house on our property and this in addition watering a small cattle herd on a pasture without a water source. Might we have any issues with the 1hp pump?

I have seen some photos with a shutoff valve just before the CSV - is this a good idea?

Can we install a pressure gauge before the CSV? I understand that we'll see a high pressure there and I'm thinking it will be good to know what that is.

I purchased a water quality test kit but am thinking we need to disinfect and then flush out when we get the pump in before testing - right?

I really appreciate you all who share your knowledge here.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
3-wire 1hp Grundfos 10S10-15 submersible pump and standard control box
That 1.5 hp 10 gpm pump would be for a deeper well normally. I think 1 HP would be plenty, and maybe even 3/4 hp if the water fills quickly enough.

Do use a flow inducer sleeve to cool the motor better, if your well is 5 inch or bigger.
index.php

Donna Davis

Reaction score
Reach4, Our pump is 1 hp (rather than 1.5) - the 15 is for # of impellers. The casing is 6" ID.

You said the "1 HP would be plenty" - so sounds like it's all good there.

Unfortunately we don't know the fill rate but in general there is no shortage of water around here. We also have a spring-fed pond a few hundred feet away that never stops spilling.

Thank you for responding.

Donna Davis

Reaction score
Yes that looks like it would have been a better choice. I don't remember why I bought the 10S10 - it was one of the first items. Only good thing about buying back then is that it was several hundred dollars less than I am seeing it now.

Donna Davis

Reaction score
Follow-up to my post re long-term dry storage of pump -

Pump is running like a champ. I suspect at least partly because it was stored at <70degF.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks