Some Help with Softner Resin and sizing

Users who are viewing this thread

fxacur

Reaction score
Hi guys I have been trying to lean a lot about water softners and I am trying to decide what would be best for my house and would like to hear if you have some suggestion about what I am doing...

I have a water with 600 PPM = 35 GPG hardness no iron
My Peak Flow Rate would be about 7 GPM (2 baths and appliance)
I am sizing it for 160 gallons each day
I would like to have 8 days Between regeneration and use a low salt dose about (6-8 lbs/ft3)
I Plan to put an Active Carbon filter before entering the softener (as my water is coming from a well, to capture chlorine and some particles that my come from the pump)

Rigth now I am calculating I am using about 80 Gallons of water a day (2 persons) but I do not have pressure on by bathroom think it is at 5 PSI (tank is located on 2nd floor) right now, so I am guessing my water consumption will increase when I increase the pressure to 43 PSI.

I have a Fleck 5800STX metered Valve, Still deciding the size of the tank, but I am thinking about 1.5 ft resin or 2 ft resin but I think it would be too much (the 2 ft is to support the increase of my family 3-4 years down the road to a family of 4)...

So my questions are ...

- Could I buy a larger tank and fill it with less resin and when my water demands increase put more resin on the tank ?
- Which resin do you recommend I was inclined to use SST-60 to lower salt usage but I found 2 other forums that they leave a flavor/taste as plastic on the water the person they did not post how they solved it and it say that it was worst when brushing teeth, and havent found much people using it or reading if they had problem, othe resin I am considering is Purefine PFC100E supossely as it is a fine mesh resin it should have lower leakage at lower salt usage but haven't found any technical data about it, and another would be the Purelite C100E ....
- To use the fine mesh Purefine PFC100E do I need to use something more on the tank ?

Any suggestion is well received... Thanks

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
160*35=5600 * 8= 44800K. 45,000/3333= 13.5 lbs.. So a 2 cuft would do it but you don't need fine mesh resin or SST because you have no iron. And there will not be any chlorine in your well water so you don't need the carbon filter or any prefilter in front of the softener sediment will be backwashed out of the tank. Carbon is a great place for bacteria to grow.

A larger tank without the 2.0 cuft isn't a good idea in my opinion because the diameter of the tank would spread out the resin and reduce the bed depth too much to run 7 gpm through it with 35 gpg hardness.

fxacur

Reaction score
160*35=5600 * 8= 44800K. 45,000/3333= 13.5 lbs.. So a 2 cuft would do it but you don't need fine mesh resin or SST because you have no iron. And there will not be any chlorine in your well water so you don't need the carbon filter or any prefilter in front of the softener sediment will be backwashed out of the tank. Carbon is a great place for bacteria to grow.

A larger tank without the 2.0 cuft isn't a good idea in my opinion because the diameter of the tank would spread out the resin and reduce the bed depth too much to run 7 gpm through it with 35 gpg hardness.

Thanks for the reply Gary, I forgot to say I would like to regenerate using upflow.... Gary I was thinking about the fine mesh or the SST to lower the salt consumption and decrease the leakage of using a low salt setting. Here the cheapest salt pellet I can get goes for $24 dollars for the bag of 35 Kilos, to run it a year would be $162 dollars at those settings I was told that It would be better to use the salt pellets because the other are not pure and they damage the valves...

About the carbon filter is because right now in this house I have municipal water, and I am on the understanding that it contains clorine and that damages the resin ? starting next year I should move to the house and use the softner on a well, so now that you mention it, the carbon filter may be bad because of the bacteria, it would be better to not use the carbon filter ? (by the way, even if it is a municipal water system the water hardness is 32+ GPG)

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You can not save money by buying a more expensive upflow control valve, fine mesh or SST-60 resin and then feed it pellet type salt but.... you've missed the claims of salt and water savings with a Vortex tank.

You will do better with a regular softener with regular resin in a regular tank with gravel underbed and no prefilter of any kind.

People that like to upsell usually always talk about chlorine damaging resin and the need to prevent that by buying a carbon filter, or, the same for invisible sediment in private well water.

If the hardness is 32+, then you need to know and use how much it actually is or may be.

fxacur

Reaction score
You can not save money by buying a more expensive upflow control valve, fine mesh or SST-60 resin and then feed it pellet type salt but.... you've missed the claims of salt and water savings with a Vortex tank.

You will do better with a regular softener with regular resin in a regular tank with gravel underbed and no prefilter of any kind.

People that like to upsell usually always talk about chlorine damaging resin and the need to prevent that by buying a carbon filter, or, the same for invisible sediment in private well water.

If the hardness is 32+, then you need to know and use how much it actually is or may be.

Thanks Gary... :D

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks