Solvent Weld P-Trap Best Practice

Users who are viewing this thread

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
What fixture is this trap for?

If it's a bath or a shower, typically they aren't accessible after installation, and so the best practice would be to use a fully solvent-welded trap, not one with a union in the middle. Certainly there's no point in using a union trap without a second reversible joint nearby to allow disassembly.

A 1-1/2" trap with a union in the middle could be used under a lav, with a trap adapter on the inlet side to adapt to the fixture tailpiece. But I think I prefer using a tubular trap, which puts the trap adapter on the trap arm. That would make rodding through the trap arm feasible by removing the trap.

Cheers, Wayne

Bens

Reaction score
It's for a sink - what you say about rodding is a good point.
I just dislike the PVC trap adapters horizontal - they always seem to leak very subtly when you're not looking...and the tube traps seem so flimsy.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
It's for a sink - what you say about rodding is a good point.
I just dislike the PVC trap adapters horizontal - they always seem to leak very subtly when you're not looking...and the tube traps seem so flimsy.
You can get 17 gauge brass slip joint p-traps. Not flimsy at all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks