(Solved) One-Inch-Long 3/4-Inch Pipe Down Heater Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Skeezix

Reaction score
While I was installing a new water heater, by accident I dropped a one-inch length of 3/4-inch copper pipe down the vent in the center of the heater (tinkle-tinkle-tinkle- thunk :().
I shined it on and completed the installation without removing the pipe. Will this cause any problems down the line?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Look at it from the burner side at the bottom. It might be sitting on top of the burner. Don't know if it would be a problem

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
one lesson I learned.. no matter how big of a magnet.. and no matter how long you fish for it.. its not coming out.. When I finally reallized how dumb i was for fishing out a brass screw with a magnet from a wall.. doh.

Skeezix

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean. The heater has a metal strip that spirals down to the bottom, but does not have a horizontal piece that might prevent parts from being dropped in.

I shoulda covered the top with a rag before working on the heater. :oops:

I couldn't remove the dropped piece because the heater stands on a 32-inch pedestal, and the person who lifted the heater onto the pedestal was not available for several days after I dropped the part into the heater.

And I'm not able to oink the heater down, turn it upside down and try to shake the part out. I'm too old, and the heater is too heavy and bulky.

So I'll live with it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks