[SOLVED] Can't get this American Standard shower handle off, doesn't seem to be a set screw present

Users who are viewing this thread

guido

Reaction score
Made some photos:

https://imgur.com/a/mbW1EiK

It looks like there is a space where the set screw would be, but there's nothing on the inside
I rotate the whole way it allows and looked in with a flash light, and also tried to "feel" it with a screw driver, but it never latches.

I then noticed (see video) that the mantle just rotates.

Doing some reading people mentioned it could just be pushed on. I gave it a good tug, but it's firmly remaining in place. I am a little afraid of putting too much force on it

I am doing all this to see if I can fix this issue: there is no sunlight between hot and cold anymore, so I assume I need a new cartridge.

guido-2.jpg
guido-1.jpg

guido

Reaction score
I can't find a slot though, I've seen 2/32 wrenches mentioned, but it seems all smooth on the bottom

Hardt

Reaction score
Op, I currently have 2 faucets in use like that and I also have an old spare that I pulled out many years ago. I just looked at it and mine has a slotted set screw that would need about a 3/16" flat blade screwdriver to engage ...look like a #10 size screw. The handle has a rectangular hole and a plastic insert which fit snugly over the valve stem and the set screw fits in a slot in the stem. If you look into the hole with a flashlight for the set screw and don't see the screw (it sticks out from the handle about 1/4") than it may have already fallen out because it should be clearly visible. Like I said the handle fits snugly on the stem so even with the set screw loose I had to tug on the handle to pull it off. Hope this helps...good luck!

guido

Reaction score
Thank you @Terry and @Hardt !

What i turned out needing to do was to turn on the faucet to find enough room to find the allen screw.

To do that, I first needed to turn off the water (which I had other problems with, but figured out eventually)

Found a replacement cartridge at local store and I'm all set!

Love this forum!

Craig List

Reaction score
Thank you @Terry and @Hardt !

What i turned out needing to do was to turn on the faucet to find enough room to find the allen screw.

To do that, I first needed to turn off the water (which I had other problems with, but figured out eventually)

Found a replacement cartridge at local store and I'm all set!

Love this forum!
Hi

I am trying to replace the cartridge for the same shower trim. Do you happen to have the model number for the replacement cartridge?

Thanks
Craig

Last edited:

Jay45

Reaction score
I know this is an old post, but I also am trying to replace the cartrige on this model faucet. Does anyone have a clue what model it is?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks