Solutions for a very small bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Calvin

Reaction score
Condensation from my existing toilet has rotted my subfloor, so we're planning a limited repair and replacement of the old toilet. The available floor space for the toilet is 40 in. from front to back and 28 in side to side (wall to vanity), with a rough in of 15 in. Since we can't afford a wall-mounted toilet, we're trying to sort out our options. The unifit Totos are too long (elongated bowls) as are the 14 in. Gerber Avalanches (the other alt. offered by our plumbing supplier), so now we're thinking creatively (ha!). We're considering using the current RI for a Toto Aquia placed diagonally in the corner. Here are my concerns:
1. is such a diagonal placement possible on an existing flange?
2. for our installation to work, the toilet be fully in the corner as possible (i.e., no access to the back of the toilet)--will that make installation impossible?

The other alternative is re-roughing in the drain to 12, which would allow for more toilet selection, although still a tight fit. The floor is coming up anyway, but I'm not sure how much more complicated it would be.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my opinion, redoing the rough-in would be the best for the reasons you cited. The diagonal configuration would really smack of a hack job and I doubt if you would be happy with it for long. With the floor removed, adjusting the drain should not be overly difficult, but it might be wise to have a plumber do the work.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Hopefully, you have an understanding inspector, as today's code requires 15" either side of the centerline on a toilet install...you're 2" short of the minimum. If he was being a really big pain, he may force you to install a smaller vanity to gain that extra space. Normally doesn't happen, though.

The Totos with the unifit would sit out an extra 1" verses what the spec sheet says since your flange is that extra 1" from the nominal 14". On an elongated, your legs sit beside the end of the toilet rather than totally in front, so that may not be as big an issue as you think. As to whether you could fit any toilet in there diagonally in the corner, you'd have to play with the footprint. You could do this with a scale drawing and the drawing of the toilet.

There are a very limited amount of toilets that are designed to fit into a corner on the diagonal, and they may not function that great (there's not much competition or call for them). Any toilet could be put there, but how much it stuck out would depend on the width of the tank.

If you have access from below, then it may be prudent to move the flange to the standard 12". But, they probably didn't put it there in the first place because of joists or other obstructions...it may not be moved easily - only you can tell for sure.

Calvin

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm inclined to think we need to move the RI back a few inches, but our plumber hasn't sounded that enthused. There's no structural impediment to doing so--I think the 15" one was made to suit the toilet, which appears to be original to the house and fits quite tightly against the back wall. BTW, I overstated a bit when I said "vanity"--it's actually a small wall-mounted sink that can't move further down the wall or it will block with the door.

Calvin

Reaction score
I guess I'd still like answers to my questions about the Aquia, though, because the diagonal placement actually might work better in this situation than the present right angle one (we did the mock up yesterday, before I wrote for help here).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A toilet can be installed in the middle of the room, so installing it in a corner technically, would be fine. Whether it would fit without moving either the water supply line or the flange, you'd have to carefully measure and plot it out. One thing for certain, though, is that the bolt slots/holes won't line up properly. Depending on the flange, it might be easy (if it is a plastic flange with a metal ring, you can unscrew it and swivel the thing so the slots line up), or it might require replacing it (but not necessarily move it).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most toilets installed at a diangle put the shoulders under the bowl of a pedestal lav. I'm not a big fan. I have broad shoulders and tucking under a lav basin doesn't feel like an improvement.

You can pay the plumber a few hundred bucks to move the closet flange, if it's possible without reframiing and boxing out the floor joists. Or you can install a Toto with a 14" Unifit to pull it back 2"
The Gerber will sit out as far into the room as a 12". They sell you a big fat tank, so what. Your knees don't move back. Isn't that the whole point, or am I missing something here?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Just look for a small profile toilet. Here is a Kohler example:http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/1145593_4.pdf

You are out on a limb here...you have to repair the damage, but the dimensions of that rooom are not acceptable for a toilet today, so an inspector could chose to make you bring it up to code.

And OH BY THE WAY....we are happy on here to offer various suggestions....but you ARE aware that the fine for doing plumbing work in MA is $2500!! We don't care what you do, but we are told that your State Assembly leader Sal Dibiasi...has a real tear on for unlicensed plumbing work!

Last edited:

Calvin

Reaction score
Hmmm, interesting. We plan to call in a plumber, but I want to be sure I know our options first.
Do you know how this Kohler model performs, esp. vis a vis a Toto, for example?
Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Kohler is longer then the Aquia by more then an inch.
If it's sets on a 12" rough, you can't have floor mold behind it.

If you're doing floor work, then moving the rough may be a good idea. It's just that most of the time, there'e an underlaying reason for where it is near, maybe a floor joist. But sometimes, it's clear sailing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks