Solenoid Valve - Humidifier

Users who are viewing this thread

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
An air handler mounted humidifier would be attached to the side of the duct work above the furnace and probably the AC coil. If you have one inside the duct work you'll need to open it up and check the condition.

Check the float valve in the humidifier. The valve you replaced turns the water on and off to the humidifier but the humidifier has a tray or tank with a float valve that works similar to a toilet tank. This area will get all gummed up with mineral deposits as the water is evaporated. Some units will have a wheel with mesh like fabric that rotates or a pad in and above the water to allow water to be absorbed into the pad for vaporization. You can clean it with vinegar. Humidifiers take a lot of maintenance depending on how hard your water is. It should opened and checked at least once a month during the heating season and in the off season completely removed and cleaned. Just remember you are breathing mold that will grow in humidifiers.

Stuff

Reaction score
Assume the floating transformer is for the humidifier. Verify by tracing the red/white brown cables - one going to the humidifier and one to the humidistat. If so then the next step is to look at where the transformer's black and white high voltage wires connect. Specifically the black wire. Looks like an orange wire nut so see where the wires that it is connected to go.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello.
I just replaced the solenoid valve (1099-46) on my whole house humidifier (pic attached). Water wasn't flowing, so I replaced the valve and now it flows. However, it doesn't seem to want to shut off. The only time it stops flowing is if if cut power to the valve or I turn off the humidistat. Even when the system is shut off (but still has power), the valve stays open and water keeps flowing. It's only closing when power is cut or humidistat is set to "off". Is it a faulty humidistat causing the issue? It's about 13 years old. The valve appears to work just fine. Any suggestions? Thank you.

The installation parts list for this model included a "drain hose". Therefore, this model just dumps water onto the pad and the excess overflows to a drain. It's getting to a point that it is time to get someone to fix it and it is probably a wiring issue and as you stated on the first post. There is a lot of thermostat wiring in place and when was the AC installed? Somewhere the wiring was changed and the water valve was bad then so the problem did not show itself until you noticed that the humidifier wasn't working. A HVAC tech should be able to figure this out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks