Solenoid valve and Float switch Voltage, wiring?

Users who are viewing this thread

dfkrause

Reaction score
I have started compiling my supplies for my storage tank installation. I plan on using a float switch to control a solenoid valve to fill the tank. I thought I had a good plan for this but now I am just confused. I plan on using a 24VAC solenoid valve and obviously will be using a transformer to get the 24v, my question is, do I drop the voltage to 24v prior to the float switch? if so can you recommend a float switch rated for this? I had a link that listed multiple configurations for the switches and their specs. but for the life of me can not find it. Does anybody have a diagram or best practice explanation for wiring the the the power from house power to float switch to valve. My initial plan was to run one leg off of the transformer through the switch then to the valve, and then wire the other leg from the transformer to the valve but now I am not sure this is correct.

Thanks for you help

Reach4

Reaction score
I have started compiling my supplies for my storage tank installation. I plan on using a float switch to control a solenoid valve to fill the tank. I thought I had a good plan for this but now I am just confused. I plan on using a 24VAC solenoid valve
Is the pump in the well going to be doing anything other than filling the tank? If not, you would want the float switch to control the pump rather than having the float switch control a valve.

This brand is often recommended: http://www.sjerhombus.com/ses-controls-float-switches.php

dfkrause

Reaction score
Is the pump in the well going to be doing anything other than filling the tank? If not, you would want the float switch to control the pump rather than having the float switch control a valve.
The pump is going to feed to a standard pressure tank/ pressure switch setup and then fill the storage tank via the valve. It will be plumbed so that I can bypass the storage tank and feed directly to the house. I realize I am doubling up on some equipment plumbing it this way but I want the redundancy. the image below from valveman is basically the same idea as my set up, I am just trying to figure the safest and proper way to wire it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
First you want to select the valve. Then you can figure out how to power it.

Is the wiring from the house going to be buried? Switching 120 vac is going to be easier and will have less loss during the run. If you are going to meet class 2 (less need to insulate etc), there are going to be power limitations, which you can seek.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
This drawing has the wiring diagram.
LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks