Solenoid leaking when system is running

Users who are viewing this thread

Samsr

Reaction score
I recently moved into a home that has a 15 year old irrigation system. My valves were leaking when system was turned off, so I hired a company to come out and replace them, which they did. Then they told me that when the system is running, it's normal for water to come out of the solenoid area. Is this correct? I just went and manually turned on my valves one by one for the first time, and water is dripping out of them when the system is running. One of the valves has a lot of water coming out until I turn it off.
This didn't happen at my last house so I'm a little confused and it seems like a waste of water. Any ideas or help? Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
........ so I hired a company to come out and replace them, which they did. Then they told me that when the system is running, it's normal for water to come out of the solenoid area. Is this correct? ........
Find another company. The solenoid needs to be snug tight to allow the diaphragm to stop the water flow. To test a valve you turn the solenoid 1/4 turn counter clockwise (loosen) and the valve will open without power to the solenoid. It's possible the replacement solenoid is missing an o-ring or the old o-ring is stuck in the valve. Most valves use the same size solenoid.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
15 years old I'd probably be replacing entire valve and not just solenoid if a ordinary 3/4 plastic valve. Sometimes I've bought a entire new valve and just changed the guts over and avoided cutting and gluing in a whole new valve. I don't do a lot of irrigation

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks