Soldering on the grill - really.

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by DIYitright, Jul 17, 2015.

1. DIYitright

DIYitright New Member

Not a joke, an experiment.

A single propane torch was not enough to solder 1/2" copper tube to the large brass shower valve. The hunk of brass was a big heat sink. I mentioned this to DW and she said: "So? Put it on the grill."

It could work. Other industries assemble parts and place them in ovens to solder the pieces all at once. Unwilling to trash a whole valve if it went wrong, I worked up to it. Yes, the valve has no plastic pieces. I checked. It is all machined brass.

Experiment 1 with copper tubing:
    I fired up the gas grill until it read 600F
    Two scrap pieces of tubing and a straight union, cleaned and fluxed, were laid on the grill for 5 minutes with the lid closed. opened the lid, applied solder and it did not melt. Moved the pieces into a visible flame and the solder flowed right into the joint. It worked.

Experiment 2 with an old shower valve:
    Again at 600F
    I used the old shower valve that was removed and had various bits soldered to it.
    Waited 20 minutes.
    The parts were still firm
    I move it into the flame and after a few minutes was able to disassemble everything. It worked.

This could never be a suggested practice and you could trash an expensive valve. It made for interesting experiments.

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    I always pull the cartridge when soldering, and reinstall when I'm done.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

Test, Don't Guess!
    I use mapp gas instead of propane as it delivers the extra heat neeted for bigger valves. The size of the torch tip counts also.

5. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Rocket Scientist

Welders use a grill all of the time.

When I am done I have a Steak and Beer.

6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    You had the wrong torch and/or gas. And, if I had to wait 5 minutes to do every joint, I would never finish a job. Grills are also difficult to use inside a wall.

DonL likes this.
  7. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Rocket Scientist

I agree, and not safe either. :)