Soldered joint or thread on valve body?

Users who are viewing this thread

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm replacing a Price Pfister valve body (0x8-310A to a 0x8-340A) The new one has integrated valve stops. The replacement one has outside thread fittings with 1/2 inch inside fitting for soldering. The instructions do read that soldering is one way to connect the pipes after removing all plastic parts and cartridge. It's copper pipe all the way. My question for the pros is do you prefer to solder or use threaded female fittings to the valve body?

IMG_2228.jpg

Sluggo

Reaction score
After you remove the internals, do the soldering with the valve body in a horizontal position to insure that you don't have any excess solder flow down internally where it might interfere, for example, with the service stops.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I completed the replacement of the valve body but two things to know,

1) After removing the plastic parts and the cartridge, I removed the valve stops. There are what looks like neoprene o-rings and the valve stems are tip with the same material. The instructions did not mention the valve stops. Heat would have definitely melted these parts.

2) A propane torch does not generate enough heat for the heavy brass valve body. A quick trip to the store for a MAPP gas unit took care of the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks