Solder drop stuck to tub.

Users who are viewing this thread

MurrayB

Reaction score
Not sure how this one happened, but some how I managed to drop some hot solder into my bath tub, and it is stuck like a champion. I have pretty much ignored this problem for the last few months, but it is really starting to drive me nuts.

The bath tub is metal, but not the expensive kind, the $130 Boonz Industries type.

I have tried scraping it off first with some hard plastic, and next with a flat tip screw driver, but nothing seems to be working. Any ideas?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The solder probably burned itself into the tub finish. I doubt that it can be removed without leaving a burn hole through to the metal. You might then be able to minimize the ugly appearance with a bit of epoxy, but it will always show to some degree.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's fused to the finish. Popping it off will leave a depression and might take some extra with it.

MurrayB

Reaction score
Solder in the tub

Thank you for all of the help. I was thinking this would be the situation when it didn't come up easily.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Get som nail polish that is the same color...coat it a few times and be done with it...next time you solder place a rag under the area you are working on...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Get som nail polish that is the same color...coat it a few times and be done with it...next time you solder place a rag under the area you are working on...

That is a good tip. You could even get some 100 grit sandpaper, and if the glob sticks up too much, carefully sand it to smooth it out some. Don't scuff the tub if possible. Then get a porcelain touch up paint bottle to color it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it was porcelain, it probably would have just popped off...glass melts at a much higher temp than typical plumbing solder.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
It's fused to the finish. Popping it off will leave a depression and might take some extra with it.

Yep. Popping it out will leave a depression and cause another of the same :mad: Next time, have drop cloth, will travel.

How come most lessons learned have to cost a lot?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Personally I would leave the solder...if you do manage to get it off the tubs finish may come off with it and then you may have to deal with a tub that begins to rust...I would rather have a spot of solder than a rusty spot...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks