Solder and flux recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Supr

Reaction score
hi, this might be a simple question but wanted to get some advice from the pros.
i havent soldered in years and the flux and solder that i used to use was great but when i used it yesterday it wouldn't flow for crap. i cleaned the solder before using it but still. ended up throwing it away.
ended up buying some Oatey stuff from HD but wasnt too happy with that either.
so wondering what you pros use. also, what do you think about tinning flux? havent used it before but sounds like a good thing. no?

thank you

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been using water soluble Everflux with no lead solder. I switched to no lead in the 70's when I noticed I would get fewer leaks with it.
I was also concerned about lead because I had kids and didn't want to bring that home to them.

soldering_kit.jpg

Supr

Reaction score
thanks for the reply Terry. I assumed all solder was lead free now but I guess not.
I noticed that some solders list the different amounts of "ingredients" it has in it. is this important at all? this is for home owner use on drinkable water.

Reach4

Reaction score
Oatey Safe Flow solder, with some silver content, and Oatey No. 95 tinning flux worked really nicely for me. I did not do much, but it worked better than the old solder that had lead.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Nokorode soldering paste never seen it at a big box store. Here's a link to Harris products and what to use for the material being used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks