Solder all sucked in around joint but is it bad?

Users who are viewing this thread

firelikeiya

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Definite newbie here to soldering. I just soldered a bypass loop for a water softener. I deburred the inside and outside of all the pipes, cleaned with a tube cleaning brush, and applied flux to the copper pipe and the fitting. I used MAPP gas. I sweated 1" copper pipe and used just over 1" of solder per joint. My problem is that all of the solder seems to have sucked in on my fittings. Instead of having that nice bead that professionals get, I have a slightly sucked in ridge all around. I did this late last night and the lighting was bad. I put water to the system last night and everything held. I wired brushed all of the joints this morning and there is complete solder all the way around every joint. I have a strong feeling most of the solder got sucked into the pipes. Is there anything I should do or be worried about? Should I redo the joints? Thanks for any help.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should see some of the "professional" solder joints I've come across. There's little to no relationship between the appearance
of a joint and its watertightness, barring the obvious. If you are leak-free, you will probably
remain leak-free until the end of time. Or almost.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks