Solar power pump advice

Users who are viewing this thread

OffGrid1

Reaction score
Hi all, I just purchased 5 acres of land in rural Washington state. I dug my well and initially had 4 gallons per minute at 310 feet. I then deepened the well to 400 feet where I got 25 gallons of water per minute. The static water level is about 150 feet.

We would like to break ground in August, and the builder said he needs water on site. I need advice on what type of system(s) I should install.

Ideally, I would like a solar power system since we get lots of sunlight, and a hand pump just in case something goes down I can still get water out of my well. What are your suggestions? anything I should add, that I'm not taking into consideration? Is the well even big enough for all these pumps? The well is about 10-15 feet away from my electrical box which is pretty close to the street. I do live on a dead end street so don't anticipate much traffic.

My builder said we don't need a well house, and can have since electrical run to my utility room in my basement. I would like a generator for back up electricity when the power goes down. I'm new to all this so I'm probably leaving out key details.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Screenshot_20211224-150941_Houzz.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
With straight solar you only have water when the sun is shining. If you want water at night you will need batteries or grid power. Solar pumps are expensive and short lived. A house uses so little water a solar pump will never save enough energy to pay for itself. But if you are off grid a solar pump is sometimes the only alternative. With grid power and a backup generator, solar is not needed.

With a big storage tank a solar pump can store water for times when there is no sun. But you will still need a booster pump running on batteries or grid power to get pressure to the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks