Soil Stack Vent Area

Users who are viewing this thread

RJ539

Reaction score
Loc'n: Rural Spokane County, WA

Is there any provision within the UPC venting requirements that would allow me to reduce the my 3" dia. soil stack down to a 2" dia. vent stack extending above the highest branch drain and then thru the roof, short of adding a second 2" dia. vent stack (for a total of (3) 2" dia. vents thru the roof) to adequately vent my 2-floor 3" dia. soil stack which drains into a 4" dia. septic line as it exits the building?

The soil stack will service 5 branch drains totaling 18 DFU's initially, with the possible future increase to 22 DFU if an island sink and dishwasher are added to the kitchen at a future date.

Possibly, the simpler question is, "Must a 3" dia. soil stack have a min. 3" dia. vent stack?"

Thanks in advance for any input, Russ

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it needs to equal the 4 inch sewer line not the 3inch but if you figure out the cross sectional area of 4 inch aproxx 12.56 inches 2 inch pipe 3.14 sq inch so you need 4 2 inch vents thru roof

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have three bathrooms in your home, you will need the equivalent of a 3" vent through the roof.
That can be two 2" vents and a 1.5" vent.
For four bathrooms, it would be four 2" vents.
Washington UPC

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
yea thats right even though it has a 4 inch sewer it only requires 3 so 2 2 inch and 1 1 1/2 inch or a single 3 inch out the roof

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks