Softwater install questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Xjsar

Reaction score
Greetings everyone, have a couple questions and concerns id love to get some feedback if at all possible.

So I plan on installing a Fleck 5600sxt softwater system in a new build house with 1"pex. I do plan on putting it in the garage just below the main waterline. I have confirmed that the main runs from one side of the house in the ceiling directly to the water heater where it branches off to feed the rest of the cold lines.

My plan....if it is a decent one, ill try to explain my best as I am more of a sparky than a plumber. I will intersect the main with 2 sharkbite T's and a valve in-between them to divert the water through the softener. Ill drop PEX through the wall to the approx. height of the softener valve, install a 90deg copper stub, a valve off that (valve will either have a small stub to attach the flex line or if I can find a valve with NPT? threads to screw on the flex line). Then itll be the same for the return side plus maybe a spigot. That way I have a bypass built in for the inevitable failure and need to bypass the softener.

The drain....is a whole 'nother animal I have no idea what to do. My overall goal, is to install a utlilty sink next to the softener, as about 2ft perpendicularly behind the wall (think T shaped) I have my washer drain, so id like to tie in the sink to that drain and the water softener somewhere in that system. But that's a question for a different section.

My concerns I guess, is this a thought out way? Anything I could do better? Failure points? Will I see any significant pressure loss with the valves and 90's? What about sharkbite style fittings vs the barb w/crimp style fittings?

My knowledge of plumbing is minimal, but know enough to get it done, just may not be the "right" way. So I would like it to be correct

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Is the house built and ready? If so post some pictures of the installation location and the pipes. It would be a lot easier to guide you that way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks