Softner and possibly filter questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Don Knots

Reaction score
I need to put a new softener in the house....old one hasn't worked in awhile and i finally got some funds to replace/upgrade. Looking for some advice and some guidance.

1. When i purchased the house (was 3yrs old at time, built 2001) there was a rain soft system hooked up on the outside of the house. I believe i was told that that softener was purchased with the house (it was so long ago so i cant remember 100%). Are the water lines routed differently if the house is purchased with a softener than without? Just trying to get a better grasp of how things flow. Im in FL and that thing takes a beating from the sun. I would personally prefer to move it inside to the garage if its do-able without to much expense. Of course its on the other side of the house :).

I dont quite understand how incoming lines etc are designed for water for a house so please excuse my ignorance..... Is there an easy way to just tap in by the hot-water heater (garage) that would allow me not to have to trench lines into the garage and drill thru block wall (im guessing not but i figured id ask). Or does this only affect the hot water lines. Im guessing i would have to figure a way to deal with the drain at then as well since i dont see anything obvious in the garage? Again forgive my ignorance.

If all else fails i guess i could get a housing/cabinet and put where the rain soft is now but im limited on space without interfering with a window right next to it. Id prefer not to do this but it may outweigh the work involved in trenching. Size of cab is related to my next question below.

2. Im on city water here. Im not fond of the water, its pretty hard and not very tasty from the tap. I refuse to drink it and try not to cook with it whenever possible. Link to city report: http://www.ci.deltona.fl.us/Pages/DeltonaFL_Depts/DeltonaFL_Water/waterinfo/CCR/2016_CCR.pdf

Im interested in a whole house filter if its not dangerous to do so. Id love to remove a lot of the chloromine (and the other nasties in the water) they are using, i swear its giving me minor skin issues. Is it safe to do this using a whole house filter of some type or am i going to have nasties growing in my pipes? I would think this would probably help with the taste as well. Im just beginning to look at this so please any advice welcome. I definitely dont want to endanger myself/house but would love relatively cleaner nicer water.

I do understand how to use RO system and put it under the sink and have done so in the past. Will do so once i get the softener working again so im not blowing thru filters at the rate i do without it.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I would recommend replacing the softener and leave it where it is. You can build a simple cover for it to protect it or you can use a stainless cover to help extend the life of the unit. https://view.publitas.com/impact-water-products/2018-catalog-final/page/44-45
this page shows a stainless jacket. The valves also have outdoor covers available.

Putting a caron tank ahead of the softener is safe but common sense must be used. A simple and chep bacterial test can be done occasionally, and sanitizing the house lines every year is recommended.

Don Knots

Reaction score
How does one go about sanitizing the water pipes for maintenance? Bypass everything for a little bit or is there another process?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks