Softener, What is installed and how does it work?

Users who are viewing this thread

TJMas

Reaction score
Hello there. I bought a house last year that has what I'm assuming is a water softener. I wasn't sure how to use it or if even the last homeowners used it because the tank next to it is empty so I unplugged it. I'm not sure what I'm looking at and Google has only made it worse. There are spots on glassware and it is making hair turn slightly green. The house also has well water, it doesn't taste bad or make any food have a weird taste, not sure if that info might help. Any advice or information would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• WaterSoft1.jpg
    WaterSoft1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 152
  • WaterSoft2.jpg
    WaterSoft2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 146
  • WaterSoft3.jpg
    WaterSoft3.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 145
  • WaterSoft4.jpg
    WaterSoft4.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 148
  • WaterSoft5.jpg
    WaterSoft5.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 147
  • WaterSoft6.jpg
    WaterSoft6.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 158
  • WaterSoft7.jpg
    WaterSoft7.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 153
  • WaterSoft8.jpg
    WaterSoft8.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 191
  • WaterSoft9.jpg
    WaterSoft9.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 145

Bannerman

Reaction score
It appears the one with the Black head has a tube connecting it to the brine tank so that will typically be a softener. The black head is a Fleck 5600 with a mechanical 8 12 day timer.

Not sure what the unit with the White head is. If the other unit is the softener, then this will most likely be a filter of some sort but the label from inside the cover specifies Regeneration and Salt Dosage which seems to suggest it too is a softener, but it then would need to be connected to a brine tank.

If you post the current lab test report for your raw water, it may help to identify water conditions which may benefit from further treatment or filtration beyond softening.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks