Softener settings help

Users who are viewing this thread

Eliteconcept

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Looking for some help to confirm best settings for my softener setup. Its a fleck 7000 sxt.
Have 2 adults and 2 kids in the house.
On well water.
Water hardness was measured by a local company with a dropper kit, that hardness was 21.
With iron level of 2.
Softener is a 48k / 1.5 cu ft tank
Injector size is #00, violet in color
the BLFC sticker says 0.125 gpm

My current settings are below.
DF: GAL
VT: df2b
CT: Fd
C: 36
H: 31
RS: cr
DO: 5
RT: 1:30 PM (prefer it to run while we are all at work / school rather than in middle of night)
B1: 10
BD: 60
B2: 3
RR: 5
BF: 32
FM: t1.2

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
Ditttohead had recommended those settings for you back in 2017. Is the system now not functioning properly?

Reach4

Reaction score
With the #00 Injector - Violet, I
think you want to increase BD to between 82 and 109.

Eliteconcept

Reaction score
I just want to revisit the settings to ensure they are good. As initially configured I had the incorrect "button" for the drain control? So i lost a lot of resin out when the unit was regenerating. So changed the button out to the correct size. Not sure if that has any play in the settings. Sorry should have mentioned that. Since changing the button out my resin levels have stayed put. Sorry for that.

Probably another question as a whole as well. but the other day when I was waiting for a regen to do the brine draw so I could take my brine tank out and clean it. It never drew in the water from the brine tank. It seemed like there was quite a bit of water in there at the time too. So I properly depressurized the system, and removed and cleaned the injector and screen. The injector was very hard to remove, basically stuck (after reading looks like I need to get some food safe silicone to put on the rubber gaskets) but once I got a clean one in there it properly drew down the water.
I just cleaned the injector like 6 months ago too. Was this the right fix or just freak occurrence that the injector cleaning fixed the brine draw issue?

Anyways long story short after everything ran and the regen was done it got me thinking maybe I should reconfirm my settings because of that incorrect button mishap.

Sorry for the long story.
Thanks

Eliteconcept

Reaction score
With the #00 Injector - Violet, I
think you want to increase BD to between 82 and 109.
The other day when I was having trouble with the brine drawing from the tank. There was about 10 inches of water in my brine tank (see above post I think the last time or two the brine wasn't drawning in properly due to injector issue?). With the 60 minute draw time it was basically empty when it was done, maybe 1/4 water, if that?

Probably wouldn't hurt though to increase the time? worse case it sounds like the check valve closes if it sucks in air?

Bannerman

Reaction score
The Drain Line Flow Control button for a 10" diameter tank should flow 2.4 gpm. What was the original BLFC button size?

Brine should normally be all drawn from the brine tank within approx 1/4 of the Brine Draw/Slow Rinse setting (15 minutes of 60 minute setting) to allow adequate rinse time for salt to be rinsed from the resin bed.

As it appears the softener may not have regenerated when it should have, additional resin capacity beyond the norm may have been consumed. Suggest performing 2 regenerations back-to-back to restore the additional consumed capacity.

Since your softener is also removing a considerable quantity of iron, suggest also adding a large quantity of resin cleaner to the brine tank prior to the initial manual regen.

From what I can determine, the current settings are appropriate as they are as Ditttohead recommended. As you have chosen to not install an iron removal system prior to the softener, then cleaning the resin on a regular basis is likely a necessity even when adding a small quantity of cleaner every week.

Last edited:

Eliteconcept

Reaction score
The Drain Line Flow Control button for a 10" diameter tank should flow 2.4 gpm. What was the original BLFC button size?

Brine should normally be all drawn from the brine tank within approx 1/4 of the Brine Draw/Slow Rinse setting (15 minutes of 60 minute setting) to allow adequate rinse time for salt to be rinsed from the resin bed.

As it appears the softener may not have regenerated when it should have, additional resin capacity beyond the norm may have been consumed. Suggest performing 2 regenerations back-to-back to restore the additional consumed capacity.

Since your softener is also removing a considerable quantity of iron, suggest also adding a large quantity of resin cleaner to the brinprior to the initial manual regen

I honestly don't recall. this was like a year and a half ago. I just remember calling support, they had me remove the part and look at the "button" I just remember that is what it was called. Whatever was in there was too big, which I guess caused the resin to get flushed out? I don't fully recall. Either way, 2.4 GPM does ring a bell as to what they said it should be I'm sure I have the part number somewhere that confirms this.

ok so that is why you are suggesting a longer Brine draw time? That makes sense now, thank you for clarifying. So I might look to bump up the brine draw time a bit then?

Reach4

Reaction score
I just cleaned the injector like 6 months ago too. Was this the right fix or just freak occurrence that the injector cleaning fixed the brine draw issue?
With 2 ppm of iron being handled by a softener, you need periodic cleaning and treatment.

IO10N.jpg

https://www.menards.com/main/housew...mover-9-5-lb/io10n/p-1444444183163-c-7097.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Eliteconcept

Reaction score
With 2 ppm of iron being handled by a softener, you need periodic cleaning and treatment.
IO10N.jpg

https://www.menards.com/main/housew...mover-9-5-lb/io10n/p-1444444183163-c-7097.htm

I add this religiously each time i put salt in. 1 bag of salt, then I sprinkle like 1/2 a cup of this on top of the salt. I forget the amount I have and old little cup that I measured out a couple years ago with a line marked on it with the amount to add. Then I add another bag of salt another 1/2 cup of this. each time, every bag.

Bannerman

Reaction score
. So I might look to bump up the brine draw time a bit then?
Suggest performing a manual regeneration when you can be present so as to observe Brine Draw to determine the amount of time required to draw out the usual amount of brine from the brine tank. If the brine is transferred to the resin tank in 10-20 minutes, then the 60 minute setting should be appropriate whereas if it is taking longer, then the setting will need to be increased.

Eliteconcept

Reaction score
Suggest performing a manual regeneration when you can be present so as to observe Brine Draw to determine the amount of time required to draw out the usual amount of brine from the brine tank. If the brine is transferred to the resin tank in 10-20 minutes, then the 60 minute setting should be appropriate whereas if it is taking longer, then the setting will need to be increased.

Can do. I'm off today and its rainy and windy out, so this is a good activity for this afternoon.

Reach4

Reaction score
Can do. I'm off today and its rainy and windy out, so this is a good activity for this afternoon.
I predict 27 minutes.

If 9 or 10 minutes, then you have blue rather than violet. Come to think of it, that has good probability of being the case. Red or white would be the better injectors for you.

Bannerman

Reaction score
A smaller injector is not a concern with an SXT controller as the BD time setting can be increased to compensate. Actually, a slower brine draw rate will provide a slight efficiency increase. The drawback, the regeneration cycle will take more time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks