Softener regeneration discharge

Users who are viewing this thread

tictoc

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm buying a house in NH with a water softener, never had one before so I've been educating myself. The septic guy suggested that I dig a drywell for the regeneration discharge.

My question is if I do this will I eventually end up clogging the drywell with the salty brine?

I had thought about filtering the discharge before it hit the well, but I couldn't find any info on this.

I was also planning on running the gutter downspouts into the same well so there would be clean water to help dilute the salty water when it rains.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Do you have a water quality report on your well? How many people in the house?

A lot of factors go into the potential problems of septic systems and water softeners. Key is the soil type, and the raw water. Most soil types have no problem with the highly soluble sodium and chloride that is discharged from a softener into a septic.

Regardless, the softener should be designed and maintained for high efficiency to minimize potential problems.

Here is a great article written a few years ago on the topic. There have been many studies over the years, most have concluded that it is acceptable and poses little risk to the septic system.

http://iwqaonline.org/pdf/DischargeResearchInfo.pdf

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm buying a house in NH with a water softener, never had one before so I've been educating myself. The septic guy suggested that I dig a drywell for the regeneration discharge.

My question is if I do this will I eventually end up clogging the drywell with the salty brine?

I had thought about filtering the discharge before it hit the well, but I couldn't find any info on this.

I was also planning on running the gutter downspouts into the same well so there would be clean water to help dilute the salty water when it rains.

I think your septic man knows what he is talking about.

The Brine water may not hurt the septic system, But it sure will not help it.

Around here we just run it outside and plant stuff that can live in brine water around the drain. Any Beach plant will do.

About the best place for a drain is where a electrical Ground rod is driven. Makes for Zero waste.

Enjoy your project.

tictoc

Reaction score
Do you have a water quality report on your well? How many people in the house?

A lot of factors go into the potential problems of septic systems and water softeners. Key is the soil type, and the raw water. Most soil types have no problem with the highly soluble sodium and chloride that is discharged from a softener into a septic.

Regardless, the softener should be designed and maintained for high efficiency to minimize potential problems.

Here is a great article written a few years ago on the topic. There have been many studies over the years, most have concluded that it is acceptable and poses little risk to the septic system.

http://iwqaonline.org/pdf/DischargeResearchInfo.pdf
Thanks for the reply, but this didn't answer the question I asked. I have a water quality report but I don't see why how this relates to my question.

The house comes with a softener, so I need one. Why else would the previous owner spend money on one if it wasn't needed?

I just want to know about the discharge into the drywell. Does anyone have any answers that can help me?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Check your local codes. Some areas allow it, others do not.

Just because your house came with a softener does not mean you need one. What is the hardness? Iron? Other contaminants? It relates because if your water has very low hardness, and you have a small number of people in the house then the system will regenerate infrequently, thereby putting very little load on the septic system. If you have very high hardness and lots of people, the load will be much higher, so yes the question does relate. Same goes for wherever you discharge the systems regenerant. It will also help you determine the proper size of a discharge pit.

FYI, I have seen softeners discharged right onto a lawn for decades without any problem, I have also seen where a single regeneration onto a lawn caused significant damage. It has to do with the soil types etc...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks