Softener recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Martin1b

Bill
Reaction score
My Fleck 9000 is dying and I've decided to replace the softener. My water is 31 hard (this is the only info I have) and have 7 in the house.

According to this calculator, I'm around 16,000 grains per day or roughly a 110,000 grain unit. My current system is seems to do just fine and I believe it's a 64,000 unit. It's on 1" line.

Any recommendations on what I should go with? I'd like to avoid a twin unit if possible due to price difference. My existing 9000 was a twin because it was connected to a much harder well. We've since drilled a newer well which is much softer (31 hard). I'd like the ability to regenerate at night when not in use. Interested in a Fleck 5600 SXT 64,000 grain unit as it appears very reliable and easy to work on.

Also, can I just replace the head or replace the whole thing? I have the brine tank and 2 tanks already. Would it be easier to reuse them?

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
According to this calculator, I'm around 16,000 grains per day or roughly a 110,000 grain unit. My current system is seems to do just fine and I believe it's a 64,000 unit. It's on 1" line.

Any recommendations on what I should go with? I'd like to avoid a twin unit if possible due to price difference. My existing 9000 was a twin because it was connected to a much harder well. We've since drilled a newer well which is much softer (31 hard). I'd like the ability to regenerate at night when not in use. Interested in a Fleck 5600 SXT 64,000 grain unit as it appears very reliable and easy to work on.

Also, can I just replace the head or replace the whole thing? I have the brine tank and 2 tanks already. Would it be easier to reuse them?
Confirm that your current tanks are 12" x 52" which would take 2.00 cu. ft

Usually with the 1 inch pipes, you would go 7000SXT rather than 5600SXT.

"My water is 31 hard (this is the only info I have) and have 7 in the house."
Presuming you are on a well, you should get a lab water test. I like kit 90 from http://www.karlabs.com/watertestkit/

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks