Softener not working?!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Claybe

Reaction score
Yesterday, I scooped out 2 5 gallon buckets worth of salt out of my brine tank. It was mush and the softener was not softening the water so I figured there was bridge so decided to clean it all out. I cycled the softener last night and this morning the water was still hard. I did the Hach 5B hardness test and it was 14 drops to blue. What am I missing? Why is this thing not working?!?

I am running well water through a spin filter then a 20 micron then a 5 micron all before the softener. I am using resin cleaner as well.

Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
3.4 year old softener. Fleck 5600SXT.
Does it draw the brine down during a regen?
Does the brine tank get filled back up with water?
Have you cleaned the injector screen screen and BLFC?

1 ppm iron and 28 grains of hardness.

... and one more thing: did you test cold water after letting it run for a while? Because if not, there could be perfectly soft water coming out of the softener that has not displaced the hard water in the WH yet.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score

Claybe

Reaction score
Rookie mistake! I let the water run for several minutes (on the cold side) and it tested at 1 drop to blue. Thanks for setting me straight!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
1-2 drops is normal especially if the softener is being used for iron reduction. The actual calculation is a bit more complex as we have to take into consideration hardness leakage/salt efficiency calcs but in general 1-2 grains is normal. Higher salting/less efficient settings will give you softer water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks