Softener, No idea what it all does....

Users who are viewing this thread

SparkySteve73

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm new around here, but having read quite a number of forums, am glad to have found this lovely place :)

So, I bought a (bank owned) property just over a year ago; During the purchase we found that the existing well was 'broken' - I do not have details; But the bank had a new well installed, and again, at this time I have no details about that installation though I am trying to get details. All I've found out so far is it's an artesian well.

Now on to my issue; The water passed the inspection before purchase, but we was told that the iron level was pretty high; and a year later, the bath tub, toilets, etc, are very stained. Nothing can clean them. The showers smell a little eggy.... The water has a faint taste of blood (well, to me at least!).

We do have what appears to be a filtration system in the basement, but I have absolutely zero clue what they are, what they do, and probably most importantly, what I am meant to do to maintain them. We got no information, and apparently this is common when purchasing a bank-owned-home. (This is my first home purchase!)

I was hoping to get some assistance in this area; I hope that this is not inappropriate, and if it is, I apologize!

To start with, I took 8 pictures; Those pictures can be seen here,

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d41x8ftsa6tabnb/AADin-NhYAADOwTpyvAMtkUoa?dl=0

I will gladly take more pictures & provide as much information as possible, if requested.

I look forward to any information and insight that anyone can provide me.

Many thanks to everyone!

Bannerman

Reaction score
Behind each of the back control valves at the top of the two foil wrapped tanks, is a Bypass valve with a Red lever handle. Each of those has an arrow on top pointing to it's current position. What wording is each arrow pointing to?

Photo 3 shows the control valve for the water softener which the open tank with salt is connected to. The other tank is a filter of some sort as we don't know the media installed in it.

Did you obtain or were provided with any lab test results for the water conditions? Since it was a new well drilled when you purchased, I would expect a lab test to have been performed to ensure the water's safety, with the results given to you within documents provided.

The green tank is a pressure tank which stores a quantity of water under pressure to supply your fixtures. The little grey box infront is a pressure switch which controls the well pump. The pump On and Off pressure is set within.

There will be additional questions but this is a start.

Last edited:

SparkySteve73

Reaction score
My first response is regarding the water test - I have dropped a copy of the results into the above folder on dropbox. Gonna look into the other questions now.

Thanks for responding!

Reach4

Reaction score
One of the big silver-colored tanks is the softener tank-- the one with the controller that has a hose going to the blue brine tank (with the salt in it).

The other one should contain media to address the iron, manganese, and H2S smell. The water tests don't unusually test for H2S, but your nose does that.

SparkySteve73

Reaction score
I've just uploaded photos 9 through 13.....
9... This is a sample of whats in the blue container.... odorless....
10... both levers appear to be pointing towards 'bypass'
11... controller (left/front unit)
12... controller (right unit)
13... both tanks, side by side (for reference of 11 & 12)

They are both connected to what I would imagine to be a back flush hose - I've never heard them doing back flush, and I keep very odd hours, work very changable shifts, and would imagine I would have heard something at some point......

SparkySteve73

Reaction score
One of the big silver-colored tanks is the softener tank-- the one with the controller that has a hose going to the blue brine tank (with the salt in it).

The other one should contain media to address the iron, manganese, and H2S smell. The water tests don't unusually test for H2S, but your nose does that.

What, if anything, should I be doing with these three tanks.... Is this something I could do myself? How do I tell what's in them, and how to maintain them?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Suggest mixing 1/4 cup of unscented bleach to 1 or 2 gallons water (not critical) and adding this to the brine tank (the tank with salt).

Turn both Bypass valves to the 'Service' position.

Starting with the 'Filter' controller, press and hold the left button until the unit initiates a backwash cycle of the filter media. I expect the entire backwash cycle will take 10-15 minutes.

Once the filter has been backwashed, commence regeneration of the water softener, pressing and holding the same button on the softener's controller. That process will likely require approx 1.5 hours. The bleach and water added to the brine tank should be drawn into the softener along with the brine already in the brine tank. The bleach will act to sanitize the softener internals as the unit has been sitting unused for an extended time.

SparkySteve73

Reaction score
Bannerman... thank you!!!!

Suggest mixing 1/4 cup of unscented bleach to 1 or 2 gallons water (not critical) and adding this to the brine tank (with salt).

Do you mean I need to add salt to the blue tank, or (for now) just a 1/4 cup of bleach with 2 gallons of water.

And by unscented bleach, does that mean.... plain old bleach... clorox, for example..... ?

SparkySteve73

Reaction score
I can't help but wonder why the tanks were 'switched off' ???

It would either have been the previous (real) owner, or the bank.... would it have been switched off due to the home being vacant for so long?

Bannerman

Reaction score
How long was the house vacant?

Unscented clorox.

A quantity of salt is already in the brine tank. That appears to be enough for this process but, you should add more softener salt soon.

Once you place both devices online and backwash & regenerate them, run your house fixtures for an extended time to ensure the water runs clear and does not have an odor.

SparkySteve73

Reaction score
We don't know how long it was vacant, but from what we can tell at least 6+ months through to Jul '16 (We bought the house in Jul '16) - The house is 12 years old, btw....

SparkySteve73

Reaction score
So.... The blue tank is refillable - with softener salt - are the other two tanks (foil wrapped) needing service, or do they do all the magic on their own?

Bannerman

Reaction score
or do they do all the magic on their own?
Assuming they are working properly.

The filter is likely intended to reduce iron as your iron quantity is high.

The softener is to remove calcium and magnesium ions (hardness) from the water, exchanging those ions for sodium ions which are 'soft'. As you will have a volume of water within the water heater, it will take a few days before that water is consumed and replaced with low iron and soft water.

Since water remained within the softener and filter for 1+ years, recommend not drinking or cooking with the water until the water's safety is verified.

SparkySteve73

Reaction score
Since water remained within the softener and filter for 1+ years, recommend not drinking or cooking with the water until the water's safety is verified.

Is there a home water test kit you can recommend, or simply find somewhere local that will do the test?

Reach4

Reaction score
I would get the Hach 5-b softness test now. I would not worry about bacteria at this point.

If somebody recognizes your controller, you can probably find a manual. You can figure out what the backwash rate (DLFC) for the not-softener unit, as well as other things. It may be that we could deduce the media, or that we could prescribe a replacement media.

img_6.jpg

SparkySteve73

Reaction score
I would get the Hach 5-b softness test now. I would not worry about bacteria at this point.

Ok, I'm gonna order that test in a while; In regards to not worrying about bacteria, am I doing that test (once the kit arrives) after doing what Bannerman kindly suggested:

Suggest mixing 1/4 cup of unscented bleach to 1 or 2 gallons water (not critical) and adding this to the brine tank (the tank with salt).

Turn both Bypass valves to the 'Service' position.

Starting with the 'Filter' controller, press and hold the left button until the unit initiates a backwash cycle of the filter media. I expect the entire backwash cycle will take 10-15 minutes.

I am obviously mindful of bacteria; we have kids in the house....

PS: I'm so excited about all the responses/advice - thank you all so much!!!

SparkySteve73

Reaction score
A little progress - I've found the model number hidden by a pipe, and managed to use parts of it, and google'd it - Not sure on the manufacturer, but it's a 5600se - I found 3 different manuals, and uploaded them into a manuals folder on dropbox (link below). The manuals differ between downstream and upstream, and I neither know which I have nor the difference.

EDIT: Manufacturer appears to be Zeropoint Residential.

For convenience, the original dropbox link is as follows:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d41x8ftsa6tabnb/AADin-NhYAADOwTpyvAMtkUoa?dl=0

Thanks, everyone! So excited to be making progress on this. Still unsure if I should be doing what bannerman suggested immediately, or awaiting test kits.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The Hach 5B is the recommended test kit to test your raw water's hardness as well as the hardness of the water exiting the softener, to ensure the softener is working. It will not test for bacteria.

I had suggested getting the filter and softener online immediately, so that their functions can be tested and if working, they can commence treating the water.

Once assured the filter and softener are working, you could worry about sanitizing the filter and house plumbing afterwards.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks