Softener. Help, what do I need?

Users who are viewing this thread

Itsward

Reaction score
The house we own was built in 1994 and we moved in here in 2006. We have well water and it had a kinetic softener, I assume from 94.
A few years ago I noticed a salty taste from the faucet and salt residue on our vehicles when we washed them. I decided to shop around for a new softener. 3 companies said I had a hardness of 9 gpg, iron of 1 (they didn't give units), tds of 1000, and pH of 7. All of these were from raw water. They all said we needed a new softener due to the salty taste. We did install a ro system under the kitchen sink for drinking.
It took some time to save, but we had a csi softener installed a couple months ago.
Well, still have salty taste. The plumber said it could be from our well.(around 340ft. deep)
I had the water tested through a lab and here are the results;

Sodium 989 mg/l
Hardness 2.2 gpm
Iron .3 mg/l
pH 8.4
Alkalinity 584 mg/l

We ran the softener on bypass for a couple of days to see if we needed one. The water softness seems fine, no issue with lathering. There is a metallic smell and taste though. I am guessing from the iron?
I know I am going to have to live with the sodium because from what I have been told, it can only be removed through osmosis.
I would just like clean water to take baths in that doesn't have the metallic smell. If it was your water, what would you do?
Thanks

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
I would get a complete test from Kar labs or NTL labs or post the rest of the information including sulfates, chlorides, potassium, etc. I assume you are using the softener for iron reduction, this works but usually ends in failure over short amount of time and can result in iron bleed through without regular acid cleaning of the resin. Without a complete water test we can only give you wild guesses. Sodium levels in excess of 1000 ppm may impart a slight salty taste but it usually requires chloride... thus table salt. Their is a lot to salty taste, if you taste it, it is their. Water supplies typically change over time so your water may simply have much more sodium/chloride than it had in the past. Without regular real water testing you have no way of knowing. Since you are on a well, you are your own municipality and should test your well regularly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks