Softener drain questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Spencer Valeri

Reaction score
Hi all, I am planning to install a new water softener at my house. The home has never had one before so I will be installing from scratch. I recently picked up a GE 30,000 grain unit from Home Depot. The unit will be installed in my garage after the pressure tank but before the water heater. I have two drain options. There is a floor drain about 20 feet from the softener in the middle of the garage. The biggest problem I see with it is that the line would run into the middle of the garage leaving it susceptible to be driven over. Also I would need to find an air gap option which would leave a block or pipe in the middle of the floor to be stepped on or kicked. My other option would be to run a drain hose to my ceiling (7’3”) and across the garage into the laundry room (about a 36 foot horizontal run). The manual for this GE softener says to avoid runs longer than 30 feet and higher than 8 feet. So do you think that option would work with this softener or would I be able to do it with a different unit like this one Fleck 5600SXT 48,000 Grain Water Softener Digital SXT Metered Whole House System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OGN3162/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_x2.rAb02F0DHV

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Spencer Valeri

Reaction score
The other option would be to add a wye tee into a drain line above the softener that comes from the kitchen. If I plumbed the discharge line into that drain line, would that be acceptable?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you want to be sure, run the long drain with 3/4 inch.

Going up to the kitchen drain somehow would call for an air gap.

Spencer Valeri

Reaction score
Thanks. Do you think that I could run that longer run with the 3/4” using the GE softener or would it be wise to go with the Fleck model?

Reach4

Reaction score
Of those, I would go with the Fleck 5600 SXT choice, but more for other reasons. They are well documented and maintainable. I think cabinet softeners tend to be disposable.

The backwash of a 1.5 cuft resin, 10 inch tank softener would only be 2.4 gpm, so 1/2 should be fine in practice. However 3/4 would meet the stated requirements of the 5600SXT manual:
The pipe size for residential drain line
should be a minimum of 1/2 inch (13 mm). Backwash
flow rates in excess of 7 gpm (26.5 Lpm) or length in
excess of 20 feet (6 m) require 3/4 inch (19 mm) drain line.​

Unless your water supply pressure was only 30 PSI, a few PSI of backpressure , on top of your 8 ft rise, would not matter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks