Softener causing pressure issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jason Kay

Reaction score
Hi. I've been experiencing water pressure issues and have isolated it to the water softener (I bypassed the softener and the pressure issues were gone).

Before I call a plumber, can anyone suggest how to resolve? I don't have a user manual and I'm not very familiar with how these things work. Attached are pics of my unit. Thank you very much.

Attachments

• IMG_3706.jpg
    IMG_3706.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 176
  • IMG_3707.jpg
    IMG_3707.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 168
  • IMG_3708.jpg
    IMG_3708.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 167

Reach4

Reaction score
City water? That is harder on resin. Resin is probably shot, so replacing the resin is a possibility.

You have a timed softener.You would could be better off buying a new 1.5 cuft demand softener with a 10x54 inch tank and 10% crosslinked resin, and I say that not knowing your water.

You may be better off just swapping in new resin. A 9x48 tank takes 1 cuft of resin, and a 10x54 takes 1.5 cuft.

Last edited:

Jason Kay

Reaction score
City water? That is harder on resin. Resin is probably shot, so replacing the resin is a possibility.

You have a timed softener. You would probably be better off buying a new 1.5 cuft demand softener with a 10x54 inch tank and 10% crosslinked resin, and I say that not knowing your water. That gets you new resin plus a new on-demand softener.
Yes, city water ,not well water.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
That is a Fleck original valve, these systems can be rebuilt for decades. Does the timer go back to home? In the picture it is in regeneration. You can easily replace the resin.

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
2 people in the home, but i'd want for a larger family (empty nesters). Don't know hardness, but I'm in northern NJ.
empty nesters? I'm assuming that means 2 people with occasional family visits? determining water hardness is crucial to properly setting up the new equipment if that's the route you're leaning toward. can you smell chlorine in the water?

Jason Kay

Reaction score
empty nesters? I'm assuming that means 2 people with occasional family visits? determining water hardness is crucial to properly setting up the new equipment if that's the route you're leaning toward. can you smell chlorine in the water?
Exactly. Found the hardness on the town website: Water Hardness Between: 80 to 180 Parts Per Million
(6 to 10 Grains Per Gallon)

Reach4

Reaction score
Exactly. Found the hardness on the town website: Water Hardness Between: 80 to 180 Parts Per Million
1 cuft or 1.5 cuft would do the job.

Planning for new softener, or swapping resin?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
10 GPG with 2 people in the house, 1200 grains used per day is a decent guess. Your system is small but it will work fine for your application. If the valve is good, and the tank is fine, replace the resin with a better quality resin. If you want the resin to last much longer, adding a backwashing carbon tank ahead of the softener will greatly increase your resin bed life.

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
a new metered control head may be more suited to your new needs. it regenerates based on water consumption so would be more efficient on salt usage. seems that system has treated your needs for some time to your satisfaction, so consider a fleck 5600 mechanical metered control head as a replacement. 36000 grains should be sufficient for your needs. you can set it at 10 lbs salt dosing and regen at around 1500 gallon intervals. the current control head may be more trouble (costly) than a new head of you don't know how to repair it. I'd also suggest a cartridge carbon filter installed prior to the softener if chlorine is present as it will extend the life of the Media.

Jason Kay

Reaction score
10 GPG with 2 people in the house, 1200 grains used per day is a decent guess. Your system is small but it will work fine for your application. If the valve is good, and the tank is fine, replace the resin with a better quality resin. If you want the resin to last much longer, adding a backwashing carbon tank ahead of the softener will greatly increase your resin bed life.
Thanks. You're referring to this https://www.amazon.com/Fleck-Metered-Softener-Demand-Control/dp/B004N7XKL2 ?

I'd also have to replace the resin in the tank, correct?

Bannerman

Reaction score
consider a fleck 5600 mechanical metered control head as a replacement
From what I see in the photos, a Fleck 5600 mechanical metered control head is what he already has.

As Ditttohead suggested, you can rebuild your existing control valve and replace the resin and bedding gravel in your existing tank.

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
From what I see in the photos, a Fleck 5600 mechanical metered control head is what he already has.

As Ditttohead suggested, you can rebuild your existing control valve and replace the resin and bedding gravel in your existing tank.
I'm aware but, from his statement on not knowing about the system, as well as other components that may be worn, it would probably be more prudent (and less costly overall) to just get a new control head. in a perfect world I agree with you his assessment of just new mineral and addition of some type of carbon filtration.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Curtis, a previous commentor stated he has a 'timed softener' (non metered). You appeared to be confirming that incorrect assessment based on your comments in #14.

Water Guy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks. You're referring to this
I'd also have to replace the resin in the tank, correct?
yes. it's an exact replacement to your current. yes, new mineral would be required, however, it's not as easy to replace as it may sound. emptying can be a bear if you haven't done it. it depends if you want to go diy route or relatively plug and play. if relatively plug and play is the choice, consider buying with tank and resin.

Charlie Bosco

Reaction score

You have a timed softener. You would probably be better off buying a new 1.5 cuft demand softener with a 10x54 inch tank and 10% crosslinked resin, and I say that not knowing your water. That gets you new resin plus a new on-demand softener.

Is the reason City Water is harder on resin only due to the chlorine? I heard high chlorine can turn your resin to mush.. Mush would def cause flow issues. If not Chlorine but just calcium, is it possible his backwashes are not getting the resin cleaned (whether due to proper brine or BW flow) and its just building up to the point of restriction?

I think he should try and run a ton of Res Care through it.. I brought a 10 year old DEAD Kinetico back to life with back to back washes. I went through the entire $13 Gallon ResCare in a week.. The water is now slippery soft like a brand new WS. Kinetico wanted $400 to rebed and I thought I cant hurt the resin any worse than it was. So glad I tried that first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks