Softener and bleach, Hi everyone need your help

Users who are viewing this thread

BJS8989

Reaction score
Hi oh, I am moving into a house that has three apartments in it out in the country and my landlord told me that he uses a bleach water softener and he has a carbon filter? He is very frugal and does not want to pay for another carbon filter and I'm so scared about the bleach being in the water. He does have a well, I used to live out in the country to so I know there's other ways to keep the sulfur down. I've never heard of using bleach but I'm so afraid of moving in there and then bleach being on my body and my hair. If you guys could please give me some information so I can try and make the best decision. Thank you

Reach4

Reaction score
You could get some low-range test strips to test for residual chlorine. The bleach may be injected before the carbon, iron changes form, and the carbon removes the bleach. The softener would come next.

It is very possible to use bleach in water treatment and not have significant residual.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
What is a bleach water softener?

As Reach said, he probably means they are injecting bleach in order to control some water problems. A properly maintained carbon tank will reduce the bleach to levels that are below what most test strips can see.

All municipal water supplies are required to have a residual of .5-4 ppm. A small apartment may fall under these requirements but you would have to check with your local regulatory agents to make that determination.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks