Softener, 460 I very inconsistent

Users who are viewing this thread

Biggmo

Reaction score
Replaced head from time clock to 460 I replaced resin has been working very inconsistently. Flow wheel got stopped by debris two times in the past year. 22,000 cap, 40 hardness cause high iron, 13 lb. Salt setting. I have reset the unit by disrupting the power. Did I did a manual regeneration yesterday and I heard it regenerating again that evening. Confused!

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't have the answer to your question, but I was once doing something, and inadvertently pushed the button that said to schedule a regen tonight. So as you were looking through diagnostics or menus, maybe you accidentally did that.

I sure would put a whole-house cartridge filter before the softener. I would put a 3-valve bypass around the filter, or get a filter housing with a built-in bypass. A 200 micron filter screen, or even a wye strainer (maybe 200 microns for one with a finer sc), would have been more than fine enough, but I like a big (lower pressure drop) cartridge to not only take out rocks, but to take out finer stuff. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/Wentworth_scale.png is a little hard to interpret initially because there is a lot of information. 200 microns is 0.200 mm. When you see mesh size quoted, that will normally be the US standard mesh.

Last edited:

Biggmo

Reaction score
I don't have the answer to your question, but I was once doing something, and inadvertently pushed the button that said to schedule a regen tonight. So as you were looking through diagnostics or menus, maybe you accidentally did that.

I sure would put a whole-house cartridge filter before the softener. I would put a 3-valve bypass around the filter, or get a filter housing with a built-in bypass. A 200 micron filter screen, or even a wye strainer (maybe 200 microns for one with a finer sc), would have been more than fine enough, but I like a big (lower pressure drop) cartridge to not only take out rocks, but to take out finer stuff. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/Wentworth_scale.png is a little hard to interpret initially because there is a lot of information. 200 microns is 0.200 mm. When you see mesh size quoted, that will normally be the US standard mesh.
Thanks, will have to consider doing this!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Be 100% certain the system is plumbed in the correct direction. The meter is after the softener so it should not get any debris to it. If you are plumbed in backwards the meter is highly susceptible to getting fouled. That unit uses a highly accurate turbine but it is also prone to fouling in dirty water.

Reach4

Reaction score
Be 100% certain the system is plumbed in the correct direction.
I wanted to point out that for the Autotrol/Vertix the input is on the left as you face the display. That is opposite of Fleck and Clack.

Biggmo

Reaction score
Thanks, will have to consider doing this!
It's plumbed the right direction the water meter is on the discharge side and it's still gotten just a tiny piece of resin or something in it more than two times in the past about 3 years. It's set at 12 lb.of salt 22,000 capacity + 20 hardness. Was on vacation 10 days and in 14 days at used 140 lbs. of salt

Reach4

Reaction score
It's plumbed the right direction the water meter is on the discharge side and it's still gotten just a tiny piece of resin or something in it more than two times in the past about 3 years. It's set at 12 lb.of salt 22,000 capacity + 20 hardness. Was on vacation 10 days and in 14 days at used 140 lbs. of salt
Weird. If the meter was getting stuck you would expect it to use much less salt. It must be regenerating every day.

If resin, then your top basket may be missing or damaged. If "or something", you could use a cartridge filter before the softener.

I just looked at the 460i manual. Not what I was initially picturing.

I would visit the Calendar Override Setting section, and make sure that is set to either 0 or 15.

That is probably not it... sensor probe problem? 460i is bad?? I don't know how you could troubleshoot.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks