Soft or Hard water

Users who are viewing this thread

brosnt1

Reaction score
In most houses where I live (Minnesota), cold water faucets in the kitchen sink are plumbed with unsoftened water. Some say it is that way because the hard water tastes better, and I suppose the minerals are better for you. I would like to hear what others have to say about this issue.
Thanks in advance for your replys

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
The cold water at my kitchen sink is not softened, and that is for the reasons you have mentioned. I made that change a few weeks ago ... and now the water passes through our coffee filters more easily. With soft water, the filters would fill up and coffee grounds would end up down in the pot.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
soft water

Soft water does not have salt in it. It has Sodium and therefore persons on a low sodium diet should not drink it. But they can convert to Pottasium Chloride and eliminate that problem, or do what the majority of users do and install a reverse osmosis unit for drinking water.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The formula for added sodium is 7.85 mg/l, roughly a quart, per gpg of hardness. Ten gpg water would have 78.5 mg of added sodium per quart. A slice of white bread has like 120-160 mg per slice! A glass of skim milk hundreds of mg. And I could go on.

Most people that run hard water to a faucet at the kitchen sink mistakenly think that drinking hard water is good for them. You have to drink a lot of water to get a benefit from hardness minerals in it. It is only done in a few small regions of the US. If you ever taste salt in softened water, there is something wrong with the softener.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
taste

In fact, one problem I have with drinking soft water is that it is "flat" and has no taste at all. That is how I usually do a superficial test to see if the softener is working.

dmaceld

Reaction score
The plumbing code for the State of Idaho was changed last spring to require the installation of a water softener loop (softener not mandated), plus hard cold water, soft cold water, and soft hot water lines to the kitchen sink. I asked a local plumbing supply house guy what plumbers were doing for a hard water faucet at the sink, or were they just leaving a stub out. He said stub out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks