Soffit/Bulkhead Over Shower/Tub Combo…

Keep or remove Bulkhead/soffit over shower/tub area in bathroom remodel?

• Keep Bulkhead/soffit for warmth.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remove Bulkhead/soffit because it’s dated.

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

NativeNYerChicHK

Reaction score
Remodeling my second bathroom ever! Got some great advice from the awesome people on this forum then so I’m back with another question!

What I want to know if you guys recommend keeping the old bulkhead/soffit over the shower/tub combo or do you recommend removing it. The bathroom itself is on the second floor (with attic access) and has a typical 8’ ceiling, so shower/tub is 7’ with bulkhead. In the first bathroom remodel I did (my small master bathroom, same size as this second one) I removed the overhead bulkhead/soffit that was attached to a vertical side bump out wall (previously there to create a smaller enclosed stand up shower) which I also removed, in order to extend the width of the new custom shower I built, adding a bench & niches to that freed up space, and added the benefit of height with the bulkhead removed. But honestly, my main objective there was getting rid of that bump out, not really so much the bulkhead. But if I didn’t remove the bulkhead in that situation then I would have had to extend the bulkhead’s frame to the new extended wall where I removed the vertical bump out. Didn’t want the pointless hassle (wasting time & money) and I kinda wanted the new height anyway for my 6’3” husband to finally have a shower that didn’t feel like a cramped box.

However, in the other bathroom there is a shower/tub combo and it’s used by our teenage daughters, as well as any guests. The only thing that was inside the bump out I removed in the previous remodel was the drain vent pipe and that was easily remedied by extending the piping and hiding that in the new enclosed wall. The bulkhead itself was completely empty, so nothing to remove or rehome from there, simply a demo. Since there is no vertical bump out in this bathroom I believe this overhead bulkhead will be empty as well. Just drywall and wood framing to be removed, if I decide to go that route.

I’m unsure what’s most desired now though, keep the bulkhead or remove it and extend the height of the shower area? I am going to tile the ceiling anyway to prevent dealing with mold on painted surfaces. So either way, bulkhead or no bulkhead, I’m tiling all the way up. I just want to know what’s more common and desirable now in newer remodels, bulkhead or no bulkhead?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If there is no purpose to the bulkhead, then my preference is removal. There sometimes is a reason, but even if it's to hide a vent, sometimes you can improve the ceiling height by using smaller wood, or moving the vent higher.
Over my vanity, they dropped the ceiling for the can lights, and I have to remember not to stretch my arms upward, I hate banging my fingers on the dropped ceiling.

NativeNYerChicHK

Reaction score
If there is no purpose to the bulkhead, then my preference is removal. There sometimes is a reason, but even if it's to hide a vent, sometimes you can improve the ceiling height by using smaller wood, or moving the vent higher.
Over my vanity, they dropped the ceiling for the can lights, and I have to remember not to stretch my arms upward, I hate banging my fingers on the dropped ceiling.

Thanks so much! I was thinking so too but wasn’t sure what to do with this bathroom. I had more intention going in with the last one, this one is merely preference. I just wasn’t sure if there was some other reason I might want to keep it. So it is going!
Your forum is priceless, thank for this! Being a novice myself, it’s so nice to be able to bounce ideas off the pros! You guys have been so generous with your time and expertise! I really really appreciate it, more than you know!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks