Sodium Level of 86 mg/l(ppm)

Users who are viewing this thread

Cpeters

In the Trades
Reaction score
I had my water tested at a lab and I had a sodium level of 86 mg/l (ppm). The water doesn't taste
salty but the DEP where I live says 50 is the highest level for drinking water. I read the DEP lets it
go up to 200. I'm not drinking it, but just want to water my lawn with it. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
https://plantscience.psu.edu/research/centers/turf/extension/factsheets/water-quality says
Sodium exists in nearly all irrigation water and is not necessarily a cause for concern unless high concentrations are present. High concentrations (> 70 mg/L) can be detrimental to both turf and soils. Sodium in irrigation water can be absorbed by roots and foliage, and foliar burning can occur if sufficient amounts accumulate in leaf tissue. Grasses grown on golf course putting greens (creeping bentgrass and annual bluegrass) are particularly susceptible to sodium toxicity because they are mowed very short, irrigated frequently, and subjected to other stresses.​

You may be able to find a grass that is more salt tolerant and yet is suitable for your weather.

I don't know what a DEP is.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
https://plantscience.psu.edu/research/centers/turf/extension/factsheets/water-quality says
Sodium exists in nearly all irrigation .....I don't know what a DEP is.​

Is this a new well? What was used before? Do any neighbor have the same water? What was your lawn watered with?

Last summer I had an invasion of a weed, looked like a crab grass in my St Augustine grass here in Florida. Since St Augustine is highly salt tolerant, I used table salt. Just sprinkled it on the infested area. Some of it did die out in a few weeks and this year absolutely none.

Cpeters

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is this a new well? What was used before? Do any neighbor have the same water? What was your lawn watered with?

Last summer I had an invasion of a weed, looked like a crab grass in my St Augustine grass here in Florida. Since St Augustine is highly salt tolerant, I used table salt. Just sprinkled it on the infested area. Some of it did die out in a few weeks and this year absolutely none.​
This is a shallow well I put in years ago and never really used it. I had it tested for sodium last week and I got 86 mg/l or ppm. I use city water which cost $$$. The soil is sandy an I water for 6 minutes a zone and it keeps the lawn green. Of course, if I had well water, I would bump it up to
10 or so minutes a zone. I just don't want to kill the lawn.

Cpeters

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sodium exists in nearly all irrigation water and is not necessarily a cause for concern unless high concentrations are present. High concentrations (> 70 mg/L) can be detrimental to both turf and soils. Sodium in irrigation water can be absorbed by roots and foliage, and foliar burning can occur if sufficient amounts accumulate in leaf tissue. Grasses grown on golf course putting greens (creeping bentgrass and annual bluegrass) are particularly susceptible to sodium toxicity because they are mowed very short, irrigated frequently, and subjected to other stresses.​

You may be able to find a grass that is more salt tolerant and yet is suitable for your weather.

I don't know what a DEP is.
Thanks for the info. 70 seems like the cutoff. Maybe I can alternate between city and well. I'm watering every day now for about 20 minutes.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
If it didn't cost much, get the city water tested. The city water source are from wells or from reservoirs.

If you have sandy soil, your good with your watering schedule. If it is good black soil, a little longer watering time and not every day can be scheduled. You can start watering every other day and watch the grass if it starts to dry out. If it does, increase the watering times or go back to the way you had it. Sandy soil the grass roots will be shorter, good soil they grow deeper. It's all trying to save on your city water bill.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
I went to the Middlesex water company and here is a link to their annual water quality report. This company seems to have most of the state and Delaware. They have about a dozen other water companies.

http://www.middlesexwater.com/family/middlesex-water-company/water-quality-report

upload_2018-6-24_22-51-58.png

Cpeters

In the Trades
Reaction score
I went to the Middlesex water company and here is a link to their annual water quality report. This company seems to have most of the state and Delaware. They have about a dozen other water companies.

http://www.middlesexwater.com/family/middlesex-water-company/water-quality-report

View attachment 47277
Thank for the link. I'll stick with the city. I only water for 18 minutes daily. That's about the length of a shower. So the bill shouldn't be too bad.
But .09 ppm isn't too far off from the sodium high range of 77.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks