Soda Can in Pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

Cocobrown

Reaction score
There is a reason I am asking this. Is it possible for a soda can to be flushed down a toilet?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
No, not a toilet. However, a soda can would fit in a roof vent and could drop down and block the drain that way.
Most trapways are 2" or smaller and have round bends. I can't imagine a pop can fitting through one. Most small cell phones get stuck without making it through.

Reach4

Reaction score
A soda can in a pipe could have been placed there by a workman during construction. Lazy or malicious? I don't know. I have a friend who had a glass jar removed by a plumber months after the new bathroom was put in. I removed a soda can from under just-laid sod, at the edge of the sidewalk, during wrap-up of a street sewer project. Some construction workers do this kind of thing.

Last edited:

Cocobrown

Reaction score
No, not a toilet. However, a soda can would fit in a roof vent and could drop down and block the drain that way.
Most trapways are 2" or smaller and have round bends. I can't imagine a pop can fitting through one. Most small cell phones get stuck without making it through.
Thank you so much for your response. I am in a situation where my landlord is blaming me for this situation saying we flushed a can down the toilet. They are trying to charge me for damages. I can't get any plumbers in the area to give me any kind of documentation saying we didn't cause this. I thought common sense would say that we cannot do that. The plumber that found it even said it was not a way we could do it. I just needed to see another opinion to know that I'm not crazy. Thank you again.

Cocobrown

Reaction score
A soda can in a pipe could have been placed there by a workman during construction. Lazy or malicious? I don't know. I have a friend who had a glass jar removed by a plumber months after the new bathroom was put in. I removed a soda can from under just-laid sod, at the edge of the sidewalk, during wrap-up of a street sewer project. Some construction workers do this kind of thing.
Thank you for your response. That's exactly what the plumber that found it surmised, but he won't say it in writing as they want to keep a relationship with our landlord who is paying them. But I know I didn't do it, and I find it physically impossible and ludicrously ridiculous to be accused of it. But so it goes.

yadeal

Reaction score
Unbelievable! Perhaps the plumber will write that the pipe diameter is only so many inches. Bring him to small claims court and bring a soda can and small piece of pipe the same diameter to demonstrate it is impossible to fit a can through the pipe. Or get a plumbing store to state it cannot physically happen. I am not a professional plumber.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It should be fairly easy to take an empty soda can and try to flush it! To get a feel for this if you don't want to try that is to turn the water off, flush the toilet so there's very little left, then try to get the can into the trap (outlet) of the toilet...

On many toilets, you can look at the side and see the waste path. It wouldn't be hard to verify that the can can't get around the bends, even if it did start to go though.

Worst case, you remove the toilet, take it outside, then try to flush a can through. None that I'm familiar with would do that unless it was maybe one of the mini ones that were also smaller in diameter...a 'typical', 12oz can won't make it through.

I just measured a 'normal' sized soda can, and it's 2-5/8" in diameter, and 4-7/8" tall. Most toilets I'm familiar with have an opening that is about 2" to 2-1/8", or at least 1/2" smaller in diameter, not counting the problem of getting it to go around a corner.

Cocobrown

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and confirming I'm not crazy! I am going to try to put some of your suggestions to use. The can is still still in there and they are refusing to fix it saying it is our fault. They hired a plumber to put a camera in there which is how they located it. Now they want to charge us $700 for the camera work plus the work they did before trying to find it. And the estimate to fix it is nearly $2800. I can't believe this is happening. So I guess we have to go to court to figh it. What a nightmare.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score

Just saw an American Standard video and they flushed 3 cell phones, 20 golf balls, 15 water wigglers, and a bunch of other terrible things down one of their big trap models [not all at once] looked legit. But forget the soda cans. Yeah, thru the vent or a clean out. Maybe the renters kids, but try and get it back! I have a renter from hell - a hoarder that owes me $5,000 in rent and another $12,000 for the thirty cats that she moved in when her boyfriend died - in the living room. Need a haz-mat suit to go inside. Worse than any house in Houston! Actually a flood might clean it out.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and confirming I'm not crazy! I am going to try to put some of your suggestions to use. The can is still still in there and they are refusing to fix it saying it is our fault. They hired a plumber to put a camera in there which is how they located it. Now they want to charge us $700 for the camera work plus the work they did before trying to find it. And the estimate to fix it is nearly $2800. I can't believe this is happening. So I guess we have to go to court to figh it. What a nightmare.

As a renter, you are god in the courts. Said from a landlord. You don't pay, or you move out after a few month of non pay. Not worth it for the owner to chase you and try and attach wages, unless he is a lawyer. You can get a camera up your anus for a colon inspection or a little one up your peter for less than $700, so I hope this plumber is also a MD. Fix it for $2800? Hello? I have a house with 15 or 20 grand worth of cat piss damage, and if you walked in, you would vomit. The renter says it just needs a good dusting. No money back from such crazies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks