So whats wrong with this water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
just went out to this house and they could not get this 50 gallon rheem gas heater to light...
It was installed by the boy freind who claimed he knew what he was doing.....

who ever names all the problems wins a cookie....

https://goo.gl/photos/RyTvxsZMQLiZw4jC8

their are 4 things wrong and you must name them all to win the cookie

Reach4

Reaction score
How about these:
Vent goes downhill at chimney.
Vent elbows too sharp
T+P output Pipe to about 6 inches above floor missing
cover off of bottom
Flex gas line too long and/or unprotected.
No gas sediment trap required some places
PEX pipes unsupported​

JRC3

Reaction score
Holy Shiet.

3d7eDIp.jpg

OK, so I've looked at this pic a little more...Is that like some chincy flex duct I see on the furnace flue in the background?

I bet the people sleep real good in that house.

Last edited:

Cool Blue Harley

One Dumb Plumber
Reaction score
No PEX, PEX-AL-PEX tubing installed within the first 18 inches of piping connected to a water heater.

Minimum clearances from single wall metal pipe to combustible material unapproved.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
No PEX, PEX-AL-PEX tubing installed within the first 18 inches of piping connected to a water heater.

Minimum clearances from single wall metal pipe to combustible material unapproved.

Hey, you got a point about minimum clearance but I think it appears to be at least
more than a few inches away from the studs.... but it should not be looped back down
18 inches and into the chimney

The flex connectors are probably close enough
to 18 inch ones to pass than sharkbited to the pex lines above....

the handy boy that did this work was supposed to come back out on Sat to correct the chimney
The Rheem heater will probably overheat and blow out the oil vial in the bottom of it soon enough because
of the illegal way the dumb ass vented this unit up , over and back down again...
it is not supposed to work that way..... and will not ever vent properly

I told them to correct it asap or they will probably be having headaches
and itchey eyes

mark-2019-05.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You do not show a PRV, so unless there is one, an expansion tank is not required.

Some water districts are installing check valves on the water meters. It makes it interesting for the plumbers. If the water meter is the new style with a check valve, then yes, it gets a PRV.

I was talking to a painter that does some plumbing yesterday. He didn't think that the T&P need to be plumbed anywhere. I mentioned that a kid could come along and flip the lever and spray themselves with scalding water and he seemed like that was nothing to worry about. So it seems that the T&P on his installs never gets done.

It's funny how on the picture they ran the gas chimney up over the doorway to the next room in the basement, and then back again to the brick chimney. Not funny if you live there though. Another case of not knowing the dangers that lurk. That needed to grade up at a 2% or better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks