So I went with the promenade, why loud?

Users who are viewing this thread

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The water siphons from the tank. When the tank water drops enough, the fill valve opens. The tank fills. Repeat. It happens for real.

I got caught on this issue several times. I even changed out the entire tank components the first time trying to find a leak. The water was being siphoned out. It is written on Fluidmaster Fill valve instructions.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Ha I just tried changing the angle so the water runs down the side of the overflow, didn't really help. If I use a clamp, I think the bowl fill may be too low as I assume the fill valve was calibrated. With the angle stop fully open, it takes about 20 seconds to fill. With it barely open, the trickling noise is indeed better, but the fill time would be pretty long.

There is just too much pressure from the supply line. Why some toilets do not make more noise than others is a strange mystery. LI homes usually have a basement. The line to the toilet in the basement, cut it and add a ball valve and you can slow the water flow down without much noise in the living space. On the install I would have replaced the toilet stop valve. Just reuse the cap nut and ring on the 1/2 line and use a 1/4 turn replacement with a 1/2" compression fitting on the supply side. The seat washers on this have a short 1/2 like.

I have a two ToTo's and I had to slightly close the stop valves on both of them to quiet them down. Just remember the 1.6 or 1.28 gallon units don't take much time to fill the tank.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Thanks worth, I may give that a shot. The house has part basement and part crawlspace. This bathroom is right at the edge, so I'd have to work in the crawl, but it's a few feet from open basement, so not terrible. However the piping is all threaded red brass which makes adding a new valve a lot more difficult and risky than it normally would be. Basically I'd cut the pipe and and try to unthread the next joints, but if they fail, I have to keep going back until I get a good fitting. This is why I did not want to mess with the angle stop. It is on a 100 year old threaded brass stub out. I ordered 2 threaded valves, and in the virus chaos, the company kept repeating my order and sent me 12. I'm 95% sure I can replace the valve easily, but the threads strip or break off I could wind up spending hours in the crawlspace. So since it wasn't leaking I left it alone, and I don't think it's restricting flow.

My family has taken to calling it "the big toilet" which reinforces my view that it is a bit of a bulky design. In some bathrooms it would probably be great, but in ours it just feels bulky. Probably we'll get used to it. Everybody loves that we no longer have to double flush and cross our fingers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks