Snake works, but clogs soon after

Users who are viewing this thread

Oliver McIrwin

Reaction score
Hello,
Our house built in 1911 has one shower drain that clogs regularly. I invested in a rigid auto clean drain opener (model k-30 cat no 34963) which was working great. But the last few times, the shower water starts pooling, so I'll run the snake and in the process the drain clears. I pull the snake out and notice that the auger is pretty clean. Hours later the drain pools up again.
Previous times we would have a big clump of spindly roots. I tried again today, the drain cleared and my wife watched for the tip of the drain auger outside in the vent, and we see that it is clean in the ventilation trap past where we know the roots are.

I'm ready to pull the snake back but I'm pretty sure that the drain will clog again soon. I know we've had plumbers hydro jet the drain and they say we should have it done yearly. We are probably due, but I'm just baffled at the clear drain from the snake and then reclog soon after. Can anyone explain this? Thanks!

IMG_20180812_121031.jpg MVIMG_20180812_120931.jpg

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180812_121721.jpg
    MVIMG_20180812_121721.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 266

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The Rigid K 30 is a very light duty machine . I bought several from E bay for $30 each as I figured use once and throw away

I bought them strictly for old homes that have a lead waste with a standing standing waste (barrel waste) The K 30 is so weak it cannot puncture the lead pipe as most cables can

It is also very limited in what it can clear as it is a short cable and no power to speak of such as retracting a bunch of hair let alone roots

Oliver McIrwin

Reaction score
The Rigid K 30 is a very light duty machine . I bought several from E bay for $30 each as I figured use once and throw away

I bought them strictly for old homes that have a lead waste with a standing standing waste (barrel waste) The K 30 is so weak it cannot puncture the lead pipe as most cables can

It is also very limited in what it can clear as it is a short cable and no power to speak of such as retracting a bunch of hair let alone roots
Interesting, is there a machine that you would recommend?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Hand held General Super Vee , Rigid 40, Rigid K 38

I like the K 40 as It allows me to use the feeder up close to the drain CO and I can use one hand to retrieve or feed the cable

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
snake-stuck.jpg

And don't get the snake stuck. Not my job here. I don't own anything like this. This stuff scares me.
The pictures shows their attempt to pull the snake back out.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It was not my job either, because I almost NEVER snake through the toilet opening. In fact, if the customer has removed the toilet, my first job is to reinstall it, THEN snake the drain. I wonder if their 75' snake was 85' long after they got it out. A loose wound snake like that could wind itself up in 4" sewer line and tie itself in knots.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks