Snake wont go through

Users who are viewing this thread

Simbalage21

Reaction score
I need help because I am thinking I may have to move. I am disabled and living in detroit. I used to do electrical and plumbing as well as computers. Our house floor drains started backing up so I went to home dopot rented a big snake, and got the strongest cousin I have to help. So he gets the snake in basement, and I got it to go through the main cleanout where the toilette hooks up in the basement, but it wouldnt go far. Went to the stairs and there is 2 cleanouts.. so I pull the cover and I can get the snake from the cleanout I mentioned above to one of these caps it will come out. So common sense I figure this is the MAIN SEWER cleanout.. So I know the main drains in the basement are ok. because I got the big cutter to go through with no problems.. But no matter where I try the snake will not budge to go through the main cleanout..

Why is there 2 caps. Some say its a whole house trap, while others say its separate one for sanatary, and one for storm. Anyways seeing as the snake came up the cleanout furthest to the right, thats where I need to get the snake to go outside on the line. Feels like cement, or like the pipes are welded shut.. Any ideas? I dont have the strength myself to dig, or pull up lines in yard.. Anything I can do to be assured the line is messed up outside? Just trying to see what would cause a snake to not gothough a drain. The house needs work. Roof leakes, ect.. however we got all the wiring done, and its a brick 2 bedroom with basement. So any help.

UPDATE: my wife stuck her hand down there OMG lol.. And she said that it feels like it goes toward the back of house... The snake came in this cleanout from the front.. thinking maybe this is just a big T Cleanout.. Hmmm.. Tried running the snake again before we took it back. In that angle specific.. No go.. only a few inches and it stops. Does that mean my problem is right there? possbly snake is too large? just will not budge.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
From your description we have absolutely no idea what is happening. Two cleanouts usually mean one goes towards the building and the other goes out to the street. BUT, it could also mean a house trap, but even then the snake could be directed in the proper direction. Until we know whether you are even snaking it properly, we cannot tell you what problem you are having.

Simbalage21

Reaction score
i'm sure I am snaking it correctly.. As I said I used to do electrical and plumbing and have a journey man apprenticship liscense. Its not a P Trap , but I believe there is some kind of tight angle that the industrial snake cannot go through, maybe a different kind of trap. Talked to an X Plumber I used to work with and he said alot of older homes have tight traps and the electric eel we rented cannot make that bend.. So I am going to get a smaller snake and try again.. If that fails then there will definatly be concrete getting busted up to see what going on under there. Also I am told that there is separate storm and sanatary, but they tie together at the base of the house and go out as one.. Anyways nevertheless any useful info about detroit drains, and or whole house traps would be nice, as I've never had a problem in the past running a snake, with exceptions of getting it way out and finding clay ect.. I cannot even get it through this pipe.. lol Here is an image of what i believe I am working with

Attachments

• trap..jpg
    trap..jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 1,357
Last edited:

Simbalage21

Reaction score
My Pics

Here is a picture of the soil stack, as well as the main cleanouts I was referring to. The snake made it from the soil stack to the cleanout on the right of the 2. If it were a Ptrap or whole house trap wouldnt the pipes go left to right? they dont interconnect.. These go towards back of the house, and the soil stack connects to the one on the right..

Attachments

• main..jpg
    main..jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,747
  • soil..jpg
    soil..jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,585
Last edited:

Simbalage21

Reaction score
Well I am awaiting a plumber. I am too sick, and soar to attemp this like I used to... Well see what they say :).... everyone is saying i have to "pop the trap" with the snake. I've never had a problem getting around them before.. But then again I was alot healthier then.. Tumors in knee, bad ligiments, chronic pain.. Using a walker and wheelchair.. Enough for me

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Those two clenouts are too close together to be a "house trap". They are a single casting which implies they are a two way cleanout with one going to the left and the other to the right. The second picture shows a stack base fitting which should turn and go to the left. They were usually an "elbow" fitting.

Last edited:

Simbalage21

Reaction score
Rock Salt

The people came out. Called TNT plumbing. The brought this weird tool. Sounded Like air, and they had the snake wrapped in a car tire. This machine was amazing.. Shooting sh!t all over the place literally! LOL.. There was roots everywhere.. They only charged me 40 because they didnt open it completly, and told me put rock salt or root x because their tool kept getting stuck. So I have to await that. What I dont understand is the water was all over when they left. I replaced the sump, and all the water one the one floor drain is gone. So either i have a broken pipe, or the 2nd floor drain ties to the sanatary and sump.. But thats where I am so far.. Will take pics later. They said if they come again it will only cost and additonal 40. So 80.00 total. 40 was service call. Not bad because I heard roooto rooter will change full fee even if their snake brakes in your line. This snake they used was powerful enough to trip a 20amp breaker on its own circuit when their rig got stuck. ANd they asked for dish soap to free it. Amazing!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
$40.00 dollars and you said "they" so I assume it was more than one person. The snake in a "truck tire"? Rock salt or Root-X? Those were not "plumbers". I AM a plumber, and I have NOT charged $40.00 for just ONE PERSON since about 1960, and the "machine/snake" was always an additional charge. IF they used a water jetter, that by itself usually adds at least $150.00 to the fee. I either get through it, or find out why and give the customer the option of doing the necessary repair. And I charge FULL FEE for as long as I am on the job. IF they could not get through the first time, WHY would you spend another "$40.00" since they will probably NOT have any better luck next time. As far as the rest of you posting, I cannot decipher what you are trying to say, so I do not know what, or where, that water came from

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks