Snake out over old tube wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

HandyGal

Reaction score
The house I'm working on has an old farmhouse kitchen sink that overflows and needs a snake out. There also appears to be leaking from the trap. Unfortunately, a lot of the pipes are over old tube wiring in the basement. I never work with electrical and it won't be rewired before I'd like to have the sink working. Is there a safe way to do this without waiting for new electrical to be done? The white plastic end is an access point to snake it out.

Attachments

• 20210215_101057.jpg
    20210215_101057.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 161
  • 20210215_100947.jpg
    20210215_100947.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 151
  • 20210215_100919.jpg
    20210215_100919.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 20210215_100908.jpg
    20210215_100908.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 158

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks dangerous. I've heard tales of a few plumbers and electricians that have died while working. I can do a little bit with wiring, In fact I once added a downstairs kitchen to a home I had. Even so, I now hire that work out as while getting shocked one day on a bath fan, I realized I couldn't make sense of it.
One nice tool I have added to my tool box is a voltage detector.

klein-tool-voltage-tester-01.jpg

HandyGal

Reaction score
Yes, I need one of those. Lol, I guess I'll be using tub water and wait to redo that tub until the electrical wiring is changed and I can snake out and repair the kitchen sink plumbing. The wiring has never been updated except 1 portion of it where a window air conditioner was used. It's the only grounded outlet in the whole house.

HandyGal

Reaction score
That's good to know. I was just looking at rewiring costs for the house - wow, as much as a new roof. Too bad it was never updated at all in the past. I'll be investing in a battery operated hair dryer.

Reach4

Reaction score
If the septic has not been pumped, I would try to get that done. However February in MN is not a good time for that usually. It is probably not the cause of your problem, but it's good practice particularly if you don't know how long it has been.

A kitchen sink drain will often clog where the flow turns from vertical to horizontal. If that is where that white cleanout is, that will be a prime spot. Try to catch what falls out when you open that cleanout. Today, a fitting like that would not be used, and instead a plastic "combo" would be used. That makes the turn more gradual.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Kill power to that run , of course a tester is needed gotta be safe protect the wiring from you and tools and equipment . I cant see where the wire is in relation to your work but in any case you're the one that's working there so be careful

HandyGal

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Yes, the white part is the transition from vertical to horizontal. I think a generator is a great idea for any new undiscovered treasures I'll be working on. The knobs and tube lines are under the horizontal feed from the kitchen sink. I'll make sure no power is active doing anything there. Thanks again!

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I first bought a no contact voltage detector, someone at the time said they didn't like it because it made a lot of noise.. now I realize that the noise is good. You can leave it next to a wire and listen for it to stop making noise when you turn off a breaker or pull a fuse. They're a great tool to have in your tool belt.

HandyGal

Reaction score
That sounds like a winner to me! With other folks around making noise, that's what I want! Hearing it from a distance - even better for me! I'm getting one of those!

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
"helps to bring the subconscious snake out" - gee, do plumbers have "conscious" snakes in their tool kits these days?:p

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks