Smelly sump pit, green die not present

Users who are viewing this thread

Zachry

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I have reached the end of my rope here. I have contacted a plumber and he put green die down my toilets to see if there was a leak somewhere into my drain tile, nothing.
We have our slop sink (primary sink right now) and our washing machine that dumps into the sump pit. I know its illegal but right now we are grandfathered into it and will get it changed when we have the money.
My question is, what should I do to address this smell. My uneducated opiion is that the dirty water from the washing machine over the years and maybe even remnants from a previous leak in the system have left the drain tile smelling bad.
Is there a way to clean drain tile with a snake or something through the sump pit? What should I do next?
When the water level is over the drain tile, it smells much less bad but when the pump drains the pit below the drain tile its horrible smelling.
Looking for answers im extremely frustrated in this.

Reach4

Reaction score
You could build a cover, and vent that sump to the outside through a new hole in the middle of the rim joist.

You could create negative pressure by putting a radon fan in that line. Consider getting a radon detector, and that might motivate you to add the radon fan.

Zachry

Reaction score
You could build a cover, and vent that sump to the outside through a new hole in the middle of the rim joist.

You could create negative pressure by putting a radon fan in that line. Consider getting a radon detector, and that might motivate you to add the radon fan.
The only reason I havent gone the radon mitigation route is because I figured this might be symptomatic of a larger issue and covering it up would just prolong things. But I think that larger issue would have been a crack in the line to the street, which we have determined doesnt exist.
When we originally got the house radon detected it was only marginally over so we didnt think it was too big of an issue.
So is a smelly sump pit like that relatively normal? If I wanted to solve the problem entirely, with no smell to even contain, is there a way to do that or is the fact that the drain tile already potentially had sewage in it going to make it smell forever?
Thanks for your advise and speedy response.

Reach4

Reaction score
The only reason I havent gone the radon mitigation route is because I figured this might be symptomatic of a larger issue and covering it up would just prolong things.
I am not talking about an official radon mitigation system. I am talking about a smell mitigation fan that happens to use a radon fan, and happens to suck out radon picked up by the perimeter drain.

What happens to the output of your sump pump? Does it go into a dry well?

The smell you describe is not common as far as I know. I am not a pro.

Zachry

Reaction score
I am not talking about an official radon mitigation system. I am talking about a smell mitigation fan that happens to use a radon fan, and happens to suck out radon picked up by the perimeter drain.

What happens to the output of your sump pump? Does it go into a dry well?

The smell you describe is not common as far as I know. I am not a pro.
It gets pumped out into the main line back to the street.
A sealed better pit and a little radon type fan is what we have used. You might want to try and enzyme treatment or 2 to eat up that stuff then a monthly treatment. That has worked for us also.
I will google the enzyme treament route. Heres my initial thought on that, how could I get enzymes throughout the entire drain tile.
There was previous work done on the main line out to the street. You can see it in a previous scope we got before purchasing. So thats why my though was, maybe theres just left over stuff in the drain tile that makes the draintile smell like sewage still. But the pungency of the smell is what makes me think its not just left over. Another though was maybe somehow a neighbors line seeps into the ground water and into the drain tile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks