Smelly Laundry Room - Plumbing Drain System Issues

Users who are viewing this thread

BenCo

Reaction score
Hello,

I was recently trying to troubleshoot my mother-in-law's foul smell in her Laundry Room. I always try to help her with home fix-it projects when I visit as she lives by herself. She has been dealing with the issue for a long time.

Upon investigation, her Laundry room and adjacent kitchen drain system seam to have many issues (ex: S-trap, Vent in wrong position, dishwasher drain improperly connected, limited venting). I was hoping to get the forum's advice on how to best correct this combination of potential issues. I've attached a diagram showing the current drain configuration, and a diagram howing my thoughts to best correct.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you and Happy Holidays,

- Ben

Attachments

• Diagram of Current System.JPG
    Diagram of Current System.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 194
  • Diagram of Potential Fix.JPG
    Diagram of Potential Fix.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 171

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would add a p-trap with standpipe for the washer that is vented with an AAV
I would add a p-trap for the kitchen sink with an AAV
I would remove the trap below the floor and keep the vent through the roof. With AAV's you need at least one vent through the roof.

Right now, every time the washer runs, it siphons the trap below the floor. That trap needs to go.

BenCo

Reaction score
Thanks a lot Terry.

Do you know of a clean way to add the AAV and P-trap for the Laundry washer?...The standpipe is already in the wall.

Thanks,
Ben

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Do you know of a clean way to add the AAV and P-trap for the Laundry washer?...The standpipe is already in the wall.

Are you sure the washer doesn't have a standpipe and vent there now? If so, the washer is good, but if not, then drywall will need to be cut for the work to be added.

Regardless, the kitchen also needs to be redone.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks