Smelly Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Birdman69

Reaction score
Hello

I have a bathroom sink drain that smells of gases. Bathroom was renovated around 3+ months ago and converted from a single to double sink vanity. When sinks aren't used over night I can smell gasses in the room the next day, I have traced the source to 1 of the two sinks. (one on right of pic) I also note the smell while using the same sink until a few min of running water clears up the odor. Both sinks drain fine with no issues and P traps are full of water in the morning. Pipe and venting is all 1 1/2 ABS, new venting cross the top to new sink is 30" above sink height. I tried enzyme cleaners along with short snake with no results or notable buildup. Also note original sink drain was moved 90 degrees to new wall to accommodate the double vanity.

We had a strong wind storm a few weeks back that may fit the time line of when the smell started to occur.

I am at loss and don't want to cut open walls with no game plan, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Bath Vent.png

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Can you takes pictures of the traps for each sink? Strong winds going over the roof vents can cause a low pressure area and suck water out of the trap. When you get the smell, remove the trap for that sink and try to determine how much water is in the trap. You did mention the trap is full of water, how did you determine it? Your picture "to stack" it's assumed to the roof vent?

Another thing you can do is leave each sink full of water and block off the sink overflow. It's to determine if it is actually the sinks. It a really easy thing to do and prove the source of the odor.

Last edited:

Birdman69

Reaction score
Thanks WorthFlorida
I will get pic's of traps tonight and post.

I did drop and empty the trap into container in morning when odor was occurring, it was full to top of stub out I captured all water while removing then marked and compared to filling the trap not connected to the wall, this yielded slightly more water when connected to stub out.

Yes to stack vents out roof

I did try plugging the 1 sinks drain with out water or overflow plugged over night and it seamed to stop the smell the few times I tried it. ( was expecting to get odor from overflow) I also found odd that in morning when I popped the drain there would be no odor until I run water. I will try both with water and report back.

Thanks

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Without find anything obvious, a smoke test is about the only way to find the source. Any pictures of the plumbing before the wall was covered over?

Reach4

Reaction score
I did drop and empty the trap into container in morning when odor was occurring, it was full to top of stub out I captured all water while removing then marked and compared to filling the trap not connected to the wall, this yielded slightly more water when connected to stub out.
I would expect the trap to be full to the level of the bottom of the trap adapter and trap arm, not the top. There would be a difference of 1.5 or 1.25 difference between top and bottom.

Full above the level of the bottom of the trap weir would indicate a clogged drain.

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
I am not a pro.

Is it IKEA plumbing by chance? Mine seems prone to biofilm buildup in the horizontal oval shaped portion of pipe before the p trap. Mostly in the washroom that is primarily used for teeth brushing. I took it all apart and cleaned it out. I find the enzime based cleaner works for maintenance.

Birdman69

Reaction score
Without find anything obvious, a smoke test is about the only way to find the source. Any pictures of the plumbing before the wall was covered over?
Here is some pics not sure if they will help no the greatest angles

Attachments

• First Sink Rough.jpg
    First Sink Rough.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 131
  • Trap Sink 2 (With Smell).jpg
    Trap Sink 2 (With Smell).jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 111
  • Trap Sink1 .jpg
    Trap Sink1 .jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Vent.jpg
    Vent.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 127

Birdman69

Reaction score
I would expect the trap to be full to the level of the bottom of the trap adapter and trap arm, not the top. There would be a difference of 1.5 or 1.25 difference between top and bottom.

Full above the level of the bottom of the trap weir would indicate a clogged drain.

Hi

no clog drains fine only small difference of more water when connected to wall assume this is normal? water would level to bottom of wall stub vs bottom of threaded connector if open.

Thanks

Attachments

• InkedTrap Sink 2 (With Smell)_LI.jpg
    InkedTrap Sink 2 (With Smell)_LI.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 120

Reach4

Reaction score
I would remove the PTFE tape on the trap. PTFE (Teflon) tape is for tapered threads. Maybe use a little silicone grease on the threads.

What connects the black plastic of the trap to the pipe from the wall. Is that a glued connection? Glued connections can keep things from being adjustable. Who made that connection?

Birdman69

Reaction score
Hi Reach4

I made this connection. Glued too wall stub, ABS pipe as per pic trap. I have only ever seen compression threaded style in PVC not used here in Toronto to my knowledge but could be mistaken.

Without the Teflon tape I would get a small teaspoon drip on shelf over night with that trap. Sealant or lubricant this solved it without having to cut replace trap.

Thanks

Attachments

• Trap.png
    Trap.png
    13.5 KB · Views: 119
  • InkedTrap Sink 2 (With Smell)_LI-2.jpg
    InkedTrap Sink 2 (With Smell)_LI-2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 127

Birdman69

Reaction score
Can you takes pictures of the traps for each sink? Strong winds going over the roof vents can cause a low pressure area and suck water out of the trap. When you get the smell, remove the trap for that sink and try to determine how much water is in the trap. You did mention the trap is full of water, how did you determine it? Your picture "to stack" it's assumed to the roof vent?

Another thing you can do is leave each sink full of water and block off the sink overflow. It's to determine if it is actually the sinks. It a really easy thing to do and prove the source of the odor.

Blocked sinks last night and also did enzyme treatment no smell noted this morning also no smell with morning usage. The no smelling sink did not hold the water over night I may have not screwed the popup cover on tight enough I removed them before pouring the enzyme down. I will leave open and see if smell comes back when I get home as it has in the past.

Thanks Again

Reach4

Reaction score
Edit: Sorry. I had lost track of your symptom. I don't see how your current p-trap installation could cause a sewer gas smell. Your joint with the PTFE tape would be under water, so that could not leak gas without leaking water.

I would close the drain, put a couple tablespoons to 1/4 cup of liquid chlorine bleach into the bowl, and raise the water level so that water goes out overflow holes, then back the faucet flow to a slight dribble so the bleach solution goes out the overflow slowly.

Last edited:

Birdman69

Reaction score
Edit: Sorry. I had lost track of your symptom. I don't see how your current p-trap installation could cause a sewer gas smell. Your joint with the PTFE tape would be under water, so that could not leak gas without leaking water.

I would close the drain, put a couple tablespoons to 1/4 cup of liquid chlorine bleach into the bowl, and raise the water level so that water goes out overflow holes, then back the faucet flow to a slight dribble so the bleach solution goes out the overflow slowly.
Thanks I will give that a try on the weekend and report back

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks