Smelly bathroom plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

charlesey

I like to do everything to the best of my ability
Reaction score
I need instruction. There is an unclear unpleasant odor creating in our bathroom. There are no leaking pipes, the sink and bathtub are used all day, so no water stands in the P-traps. Commode flushes usually. And yet there is this pale odor of manure! It’s a little bathroom, so I can’t even find where the smell creates. What could be the source?

Reach4

Reaction score
If you can cover fixtures with cheap thin plastic drop cloths, after a time sniff under each to see where the smell is strongest. Similarly, you can partition the room with the plastic to separate section if you cannot localize the smell to a fixture.

If the smell is the sink, try putting chlorine bleach solution into the overflow holes.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Buy some oil of peppermint mix it with hot water - pour it down a vent line above this bathroom and the person handling the oil of peppermint stays out of the house

Then have someone sniff around and this normally will let you know if a vent line is broken

HolmesStephanie

Reaction score
I need instruction. There is an unclear unpleasant odor creating in our bathroom. There are no leaking pipes, the sink and bathtub are used all day, so no water stands in the P-traps. Commode flushes usually. And yet there is this pale odor of manure! It’s a little bathroom, so I can’t even find where the smell creates. What could be the source?

If an odor is coming from your drain or bathroom water, it might be because of sulfur. To be specific, hydrogen sulfide gas creates an unpleasant smell. It is produced because of bacteria and can be in places such as the ground, the sewage, and/or contaminated water and pipes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks