Small tight rough in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Murphysf

Reaction score
Hello

I have an old toilet in my garage that I have thinking of replacing.

I measured the distance from the bolts to the sheetrock wall I there is about 10-3/4 inches. However the foundation slopes down a good bit and the distance from the bolts to where the the floor meets the foundation its only about 7-1/2 inches.

I believe that there is enough room tank wise for a 10" rough in however I am concerned about the base of the toilet and if it sticks out as far as the tank I will not have enough room as I only have 7-1/2 inches.

I am thinking a toto drake and my local plumbing store has one on display so I might go and measure it in person before I buy one.

IMG_0773.JPG
IMG_0772.JPG

Murphysf

Reaction score
it looks like any of the 746 or 748 toilets will work as they all have 3-15/16" from the back of the bowl to the wall. this is enough space to accommodate the sloped foundation.

So there are alot to pick from any suggestions or recommendations?:

CST746CEMFG.10
CST746CSMFG.10
CST746CUFMG.10
CST748CEMFG.10
MS746124CEMFG.10
MS746124CSMFG.10
MS746124CUMFG.10
MS748124CEMFG.10

Murphysf

Reaction score
whats the difference between the:

CST746CSMFG.10

and the

MS746124CSMFG.10

I used the compare feature on the toto website and they both have the same features?

??

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Can I ask why your replacing the toilet?

"The toilet backs up about 95% of the time if anything besides urine is in it. It even backs up with a very soft small stool. And then needs to be plunged. It is becoming a real nusciance."

He's not liking how it works. The Foremost toilet was never very good in my opinion.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
what's so special about this? its a 10 inch or 12 inch rough 10 /3/4 to wall going to be hard pressed to ge the 12 to fit likely need cheat it set bowl on a slope to keep tank away. all the gibberish of part numbers you gotta figure that out Murphysf. you say they are same spec so order whichever you want.

Murphysf

Reaction score
so when I woke up this morning I decide to remove the toilet to investigate.

Before I removed it I went to Home Depot to buy the following:
  1. New toilet bolts
  2. New wax ring
  3. 3/8 to 7/8 supply line
Turns out I wasn't able to use any of the above as the toilet was mounted about 1 inch below the finished floor and therefore the wax ring wasn't thick enough and the bolts weren't long enough. And the old shutoff valve was I guess 1/2".

So I removed the toilet as I wanted to see if there was any obstructions which would cause poor flushing. I found that both the trapway and drain were clear of any obstructions. So I guess the old Foremost has poor flushing properties as Terry mentioned.

With the toilet out I was able to take more accurate measurements. As for rough in I have 11" to the sheetrock and 7-1/2 " along the finished floor to the foundation. Note the foundation slopes down at an angle to the finished floor. Also note that the tank is pretty much right up against the sheetrock, I was say I have about 1/8" and the tank lid doesn't sit properly (it never did).

So I put everything back together and now I need to identify a toilet what will work with 11" to sheetrock wall and 7-1/2" to the foundation at the finished floor.

As I write this I am wondering if the toilet I have is actually a 12" rough in?

Anyway based on the 11" to sheetrock and 7-1/2" to foundation at the finished floor should I focus on a 10" rough in toilet?

My biggest question is what is the distance from the center of the flange to the bottom rear edge of the base of the bowl where it sits on the floor for the CST746CSMFG.10. I need this to be under 7-1/2".

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
so when I woke up this morning I decide to remove the toilet to investigate.

Before I removed it I went to Home Depot to buy the following:
  1. New toilet bolts
  2. New wax ring
  3. 3/8 to 7/8 supply line
Turns out I wasn't able to use any of the above as the toilet was mounted about 1 inch below the finished floor and therefore the wax ring wasn't thick enough and the bolts weren't long enough. And the old shutoff valve was I guess 1/2".

So I removed the toilet as I wanted to see if there was any obstructions which would cause poor flushing. I found that both the trapway and drain were clear of any obstructions. So I guess the old Foremost has poor flushing properties as Terry mentioned.

With the toilet out I was able to take more accurate measurements. As for rough in I have 11" to the sheetrock and 7-1/2 " along the finished floor to the foundation. Note the foundation slopes down at an angle to the finished floor. Also note that the tank is pretty much right up against the sheetrock, I was say I have about 1/8" and the tank lid doesn't sit properly (it never did).

So I put everything back together and now I need to identify a toilet what will work with 11" to sheetrock wall and 7-1/2" to the foundation at the finished floor.

As I write this I am wondering if the toilet I have is actually a 12" rough in?

Anyway based on the 11" to sheetrock and 7-1/2" to foundation at the finished floor should I focus on a 10" rough in toilet?

My biggest question is what is the distance from the center of the flange to the bottom rear edge of the base of the bowl where it sits on the floor for the CST746CSMFG.10. I need this to be under 7-1/2".

Thanks!!!!
perhaps contact toto to verify . a plumber cant find out this info any easier . unless he has that model laying around to measure.
a 10 inch might fit better . however it sounds like an oddball space you have and the front of bowl might be a little farther off wall as well cutting off space in front of the toilet as well (if that's any concern)

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just measured my Drake dual flush in the showroom and measure 6" from bolt hole to the back of the base of the bowl. Which doesn't jive with the spec sheets which indicate more like 10" from bolts to back of base.

The Gerber viper also measures under 7 from bolt holes to the back of the base of bowl.

All the toto 10" spec sheets show the back of the base of bowl 2" or less from the wall.

Murphysf

Reaction score
good news and very bad news....

I called toto this morning and they told me that the 746 and 748 10" rough measure 6" from the center of the flange to the rear of the base of the bowl

however the 746 and 748 were discontinued a couple of months ago.

anyone know who might still have stock?

I basically need any 746 or 748 with a 10" rough

Reach4

Reaction score
I think a well-chosen 12 inch toilet would be better. The 10 inch toilet would have a substantial gap behind the toilet.

There is some play in how you place the toilet on the ring.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think a well-chosen 12 inch toilet would be better. The 10 inch toilet would have a substantial gap behind the toilet.

There is some play in how you place the toilet on the ring.

I agree. You're targetting a 2" discharge over a 4" hole.. sorta. But theres generally some forward movement in bolts and bowl and flanges.

As Reach4 notes you would have a signifigant gap between the tank and wall, which in toto there usually is more than other brands already.. You could get one of those shelving units that fit over the toilet tank and have shelves above to hide such gap.. or if you bought a 12" and it touched slightly, you could recess the sheetrock in that one spot and use the same shelving unit to hide it. I've seen some toilet installs with the tank deep in a wall on a few occasions.

Murphysf

Reaction score
I agree. You're targetting a 2" discharge over a 4" hole.. sorta. But theres generally some forward movement in bolts and bowl and flanges.

As Reach4 notes you would have a signifigant gap between the tank and wall, which in toto there usually is more than other brands already.. You could get one of those shelving units that fit over the toilet tank and have shelves above to hide such gap.. or if you bought a 12" and it touched slightly, you could recess the sheetrock in that one spot and use the same shelving unit to hide it. I've seen some toilet installs with the tank deep in a wall on a few occasions.
Thaks !

I have a stud that runs up the wall behind the toilet.

I am open to either a 12" or 10" rough, I figure a 10" rough might give me a shorter distance from the center of the flange to the rear edge of the bowl base as I only have 7-1/2" here.

Any ideas of manufactures to look into?

Murphysf

Reaction score
I just measured my Drake dual flush in the showroom and measure 6" from bolt hole to the back of the base of the bowl. Which doesn't jive with the spec sheets which indicate more like 10" from bolts to back of base.

The Gerber viper also measures under 7 from bolt holes to the back of the base of bowl.

All the toto 10" spec sheets show the back of the base of bowl 2" or less from the wall.
Hi - Is the Gerber Viper that you mentioned a 12" or 10" rough in?

Murphysf

Reaction score
Hi

Its been a year or so and I still haven't replaced the old Foremost toilet in my garage.

I saw this Waterridge toilet at costco and think it might fit the space.

opinions?

its $179

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks