Small spaces that plumbers work in. What are your stories?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Small spaces that plumbers work in. What are your stories?
Zach is doing his best with what he has to work with.

plumber-in-10-by-10.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When I was young and weighed 160 pounds, I got hired on to run condensate drains for air conditioning that was being added to a downtown Seattle hotel. The Mayflower Park Hotel on Olive and 4th Ave. Much of the system I was installing tied in between the lobby floor and the 2nd floor. The space between the wire mesh with mortar that was the lobby ceiling and the concrete structure was 14" with nails embedded in the concrete pointing down. If you rolled onto your side, it was easy to embed those nails into your hip. Movement was by slithering on your stomach. There was a little bit more space between the beam structure, but not much.
Access was a 16" x 16" square cutout in the ceiling that was reached by a ladder. I spent six weeks in that slither space making the plumbing happen. There were times my heart was beating so fast, that I had to close my eyes and picture myself somewhere else until things slowed down. When I was finished and ready for an inspection, the inspector refused to even look at what I had done. Nobody from work place of work wanted to look at it either. That by far was the worse working conditions I had ever worked in.

mayflower-park-hotel-1.jpg

Weekend Handyman

Reaction score
When I was young and weighed 160 pounds, I got hired on to run condensate drains for air conditioning that was being added to a downtown Seattle hotel. The Mayflower Park Hotel on Olive and 4th Ave. Much of the system I was installing tied in between the lobby floor and the 2nd floor. The space between the wire mesh with mortar that was the lobby ceiling and the concrete structure was 14" with nails embedded in the concrete pointing down. If you rolled onto your side, it was easy to embed those nails into your hip. Movement was by slithering on your stomach. There was a little bit more space between the beam structure, but not much.
Access was a 16" x 16" square cutout in the ceiling that was reached by a ladder. I spent six weeks in that slither space making the plumbing happen. There were times my heart was beating so fast, that I had to close my eyes and picture myself somewhere else until things slowed down. When I was finished and ready for an inspection, the inspector refused to even look at what I had done. Nobody from work place of work wanted to look at it either. That by far was the worse working conditions I had ever worked in.

View attachment 87817
Nope. I could not do that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks