Small fernco leak under slab

Users who are viewing this thread

Mtnj31

Reaction score
Hello guys, hope everyone is doing well. I posted a while back about replacing a P trap under my slab. I was able to cut the cast iron p trap out and attach a PVC trap using a ~4inch fernco coupling. I ran a ton of water through it and there is a small drip leak on the cast iron end. This pipe is roughly 14 inches beneath my slab (we’re on grade). As you can see from the picture there is ground water there from a bunch of rain and snow melting here in NJ so I’m wondering if a very small leak is going to be a problem. The cast iron I’m attaching to definitely has some rusty barnacles on it and is almost impossible to get smooth. I’m wondering if I should just leave it, or change the coupling, or attempt to smoothen the pipe more? Any advice you guys can give would be helpful. Thank you.

Mtnj31

Reaction score
Hello guys, hope everyone is doing well. I posted a while back about replacing a P trap under my slab. I was able to cut the cast iron p trap out and attach a PVC trap using a ~4inch fernco coupling. I ran a ton of water through it and there is a small drip leak on the cast iron end. This pipe is roughly 14 inches beneath my slab (we’re on grade). As you can see from the picture there is ground water there from a bunch of rain and snow melting here in NJ so I’m wondering if a very small leak is going to be a problem. The cast iron I’m attaching to definitely has some rusty barnacles on it and is almost impossible to get smooth. I’m wondering if I should just leave it, or change the coupling, or attempt to smoothen the pipe more? Any advice you guys can give would be helpful. Thank you.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is going to reccomend installing a leaking pipe.

You need to get a file and/or sand paper, or a wire wheel or whatever to clean the pipe and stop the leak.

Mtnj31

Reaction score
I don't think anyone is going to reccomend installing a leaking pipe.

You need to get a file and/or sand paper, or a wire wheel or whatever to clean the pipe and stop the leak.
I thought that might be the consensus. I will get my grinder out and the wire wheel and see if I can smoothen it out some. The darn thing is just so rusted. Thanks for the response.

Mtnj31

Reaction score
So I was able to smoothen the pipe with wire wheel. I chipped off the barnacles and the pipe is somewhat smooth, but far from perfect. I noticed though after I cleaned it that there is raised lettering of the company the made the cast. It’s about 1/8 inch raised and I believe this is causing my leak. I was thinking of using my grinder that I used to cut the cast to attempt to trim off the letters to smoothen the pipe out. Anybody have any other tips? Do you think this could be causing the small leak? I tightened the no hub tight but maybe water is seeping around those letters.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks