Small dent (cut?) in copper

Users who are viewing this thread

TommyH83

Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently had my shower valve replaced by a plumber. To save them some time I had cut the drywall behind the valve and also removed part of a wall stud which would've been in the way. While cutting the stud I wasn't careful enough and hit the copper in 2 places causing small dents... or kind of look like cuts.

I didn't think it was a big deal assuming when they changed the valve they'd most likely change the 30 year old copper too. Unfortunately they left the copper and just changed the valve.

I'm concerned these 2 dents are eventually going to leak. What are your thoughts? Is there something I can do that will ensure these won't turn into a problem? Put some solder in the dents? JB Weld? Or is changing the copper the right answer?

I've attached pics of the 2 areas.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,932
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 1,910
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 1,737

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Looks fine from here. I wouldn't worry about it.
I'm not a plumber, but I've mucked up, dinged and dented plenty of pipe.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Nobody knows if and when you will have a leak from the pictures. That being said, if you want to sleep well at night, take the time to repair the dents, since they will be tucked away in hard to access spots.

One good way is what "this old house" has, or something similar, like removing parts of the pipes where the dents are and replace with new pipe sections and couplings. Be careful not to set the house on fire!

The clamp way is not good.

TommyH83

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies

I'd be willing to cut the small pieces out and put couplings - but my concern is how close they are to other joints. In the process of soldering in the new couplings, wouldn't I also be heating up the surrounding joints which would melt that solder and potentially compromise their strength? Would I have to redo those joints as well?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you do your soldering correctly, it should not affect other joints. For extra safety, you can wrap the nearest fitting with a wet rag to absorb the heat, while soldering.

Done correctly, there is no limit to the number of couplings you can put on a pipe, space allowing of course.

When done, post a photo.

TommyH83

Reaction score
If you do your soldering correctly, it should not affect other joints. For extra safety, you can wrap the nearest fitting with a wet rag to absorb the heat, while soldering.

Done correctly, there is no limit to the number of couplings you can put on a pipe, space allowing of course.

When done, post a photo.

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try over the next week or so and post pics when done.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try over the next week or so and post pics when done.
I suggest you consider further. A cut would show shiny copper, I think.Your current dented pipe does not have red ink on it, does it?

And if you go through with it, I would not use copper with red ink on it (type M), so that the new pipe is not weaker than the old dented pipe.

Are you going to put an access panel to facilitate future access.

Last edited:

TommyH83

Reaction score
I suggest you consider further. A cut would show shiny copper, I think.Your current dented pipe does not have red ink on it, does it?

And if you go through with it, I would not use copper with red ink on it (type M), so that the new pipe is not weaker than the old dented pipe.

Are you going to put an access panel to facilitate future access.

The smaller 1/2" pipe which goes up to the shower head has red writing it. On That pipe it looks more like a dent and there is no shiny copper showing.

The larger (1"?) hot water supply line does not have red writing on it. On that pipe, I can see a very small amount of shiny copper. I've attached a couple more pics.

I am considering putting an access panel especially if I don't go for the permanent fix. Debating if I should put one if I do permanently fix it because it's in a very obvious spot.

Attachments

• IMG_8531.JPG
    IMG_8531.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 1,746
  • IMG_8535.JPG
    IMG_8535.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,591

Reach4

Reaction score
The smaller 1/2" pipe which goes up to the shower head has red writing it. On That pipe it looks more like a dent and there is no shiny copper showing.
I actually have some copper with red ink. I should have bought the blue ink L pipe. But my water is not very corrosive. And the pipe is not hidden. Some places let you enclose the red ink M pipe into walls. Some do not. But for you who wants to be extra careful, no sense adding new red ink M pipe IMO.

JRC3

Reaction score
To add, pull the cartridge for any soldering.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks