Small bar sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Jayhawks18

Reaction score
I am wanting to add a small sink drain to the 3 inch toilet stack. Would this be considered direct vented or do I need to add a new vent?

b5Vhk6

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A drain cannot be used as a vent. So, while you could use that stack drain, you would need to add a vent. The rules for a vent (well, some of them), are that it must connect to the vent within a certain distance depending on the pipe size used for the drain from the sink, then, it must go up until it can connect with a real vent. That usually is at least 6" above the flood rim of any fixture, and often, at least 42" above the floor of the highest thing draining into that drain line (which could be up a story or more). Worst case, you run the vent all the way to the roof, but often, you can catch it in the attic which may be easier than in a wall somewhere, but often, you'll need to cut the wall to get the pipe up high enough. So, you need to know what is draining into that pipe, and go above it to find where it becomes a vent.

If your local inspector allows them, you might be able to use an AAV instead of running an atmospheric vent (the ideal).

Last edited:

Jayhawks18

Reaction score
This is in the basement and that stack is for the upper toilet also. Around the corner of the shower there is a 1 1/2" vent for the basement shower if I go straight up after the new sink drain and run horizontal about 7 feet to tie into the vent would that work or is it to much of a run.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
This is in the basement and that stack is for the upper toilet also. Around the corner of the shower there is a 1 1/2" vent for the basement shower if I go straight up after the new sink drain and run horizontal about 7 feet to tie into the vent would that work or is it to much of a run.

If you mean there is a basement shower with a proper vent, yes there is no reason these could not be tied together. The vent coming off the sink must rise vertically until it is at least 42" above the floor, above which it can be run horizontally (pitched to drain) to get where is needs to go. The vent must rise continuously, with no jogs or dips where liquid could be trapped.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks